Hun­gry thief in a dou­ble quick raid

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE - ALEX HIB­BERT

AHUNGRY thief burgled two premises in just ten min­utes be­cause he couldn’t af­ford to eat.

Wil­liam Thorn­ton, of Roe Street, Macclesfield, let him­self into the stock room of Bar­gain Booze in Crewe and helped him­self to cig­a­rettes worth £500, a court heard.

Just ten min­utes ear­lier Thorn­ton, 24, had walked into Delvin Den­tal Prac­tice, also in Crewe, and at­tempted to steal a lap­top and per­fume worth a to­tal £404.

Luck­ily a den­tal nurse spot­ted Thorn­ton leav­ing the premises and man­aged to get them back af­ter con­fronting him, a hear­ing heard.

He ad­mit­ted two bur- glar­ies at a hear­ing at Macclesfield Mag­is­trates’ Court on Wed­nes­day (April 15).

He also ad­mit­ted pos­sess­ing cannabis af­ter he was found with £10 worth of the drug by po­lice who ar­rested him when he failed to turn up to a court hear­ing.

Deb­bie Byrne, pros­e­cut­ing, said: “A shop worker saw Thorn­ton en­ter the store but never saw him leave. Af­ter half an hour she went into the stock room of­fice and saw that cig­a­rettes were miss­ing from the shelves.

“CCTV footage was re­viewed which showed Thorn­ton steal­ing the cig­a­rettes.”

The court heard that just 10 min­utes ear­lier Thorn­ton had at­tempted to take a lap­top from the den­tal prac­tice.

Deb­bie added: “A den­tal prac­ti­tioner heard some­one up­stairs. She saw Thorn­ton leav­ing the premises with the lap­top bag and a plas­tic bag.

“She went out and con­fronted him and man­aged to get the items back.

“In po­lice in­ter­view he fully ad­mit­ted the of­fences, he said he was on med­i­ca­tion which af­fected his ap­petite, his dis­abil­ity ben­e­fit had not been sorted out and he needed to eat.”

Trevor Fee­ley, de­fend­ing Thorn­ton, said: “The bur­glar­ies hap­pened 10 min­utes apart. It was 10 min­utes of mad­ness.

“Four days af­ter th­ese of­fences he was sec­tioned and di­ag­nosed with schizophre­nia and bi-po­lar.

“Two weeks be­fore th­ese of­fences he was re­leased af­ter seven months on re­mand. He did not have a dis­charge grant and was sleep­ing rough for some time as well.

“All th­ese things go­ing in his life had a di­rect im­pact on his be­hav­iour on this date.”

Thorn­ton was handed a 16 week cur­few by mag­is­trates from 7pm to 7am, and told to £350 com­pen­sa­tion to Bar­gain Booze.

●● Ge­orge, 16, and Harry Massey, 13, said they spot­ted a snake at Fer­main Youth Cen­tre, which took a bite out of their ball

●● Wil­liam Thorn­ton ad­mit­ted two bur­glar­ies

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.