CARROT AND CREAMY LANCASHIRE TIMBALE
A great vegetarian starter or alternatively use as an accompaniment to a piece of poached chicken or roast cod.
Makes 4 ramekins ●● 50g butter ●● Three carrots – peeled and grated ●● Two shallots – finelychopped ●● One clove garlic ●● Small knob fresh root ginger – chopped ●● 100g mashed potato ●● Two eggs ●● 50g creamy Lancashire cheese ●● 200ml tomato passata ●● Four leaves fresh basil – shredded ●● 25ml crème fraiche
●● A selection of summer vegetables, blanched ●● Fresh peas ●● Broad beans
1. Heat the butter and sweat off the carrots, garlic, shallot and ginger for five minutes.
2. Add the potato, eggs and cheese – mix well and season.
3. Line ramekin dishes with food wrap and fill the ramekins with the mixture then cover.
4. Bake in a bain-marie 180ºc for 20 minutes.
5. Heat the passata, basil and crème fraiche.
6. Warm through the vegetables.
7. When ready to serve – unmould the timbales on to plates, spoon around the sauce and top with the market vegetables.
Nutters Restaurant, Edenfield Road,
Rochdale. Tel: 01706 650167 @Nutsfood on Twitter