Tragedy as blood loss kills pensioner
A MAN died from massive blood loss caused by lung disease, an inquest heard.
David Hugh Ashton, 72, was being treated at Macclesfield hospital for pneumonia in December last year.
But despite the efforts of doctors Mr Ashton’s condition deteriorated.
In a last effort to help Mr Ashton survive he was given a tracheotomy.
However, doctors were unaware of bleeding in his lower lungs and were unable to save him.
At an inquest at Macclesfield town hall, deputy coroner for Cheshire Dr Janet Napier concluded that Mr Ashton, of Stirling Close, Upton Priory, died from exsanguination, the medical term for blood loss, which came from the respiratory tract which was caused by lung disease.
The inquest heard that Mr Ashton was bright man whose promising career as a teacher was cut short when he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
He never worked again but spent his time with friends playing chess at a cafe on Chestergate.
The inquest heard Mr Ashton smoked 20 cigarettes a day for 30 years and was treated for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
In her conclusion Dr Napier said: “Mr Ashton was clearly a bright man who had coped well with his mental health problems. It is a puzzle where the bleeding came from but it as probably low in his lungs.”