HOMES Join the coun­try club NEW COUN­TRY

Coun­try style has many faces – it can be rus­tic, charm­ing and chintzy, cool and mod­ern or even a mix of all three. GABRIELLE FA­GAN har­vests three chic looks to try in your home

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES -

the pos­si­bil­ity of an ap­peal. How­ever you can­not ap­peal against the de­ci­sion of the court just be­cause you don’t like it; the judge has to have made a mis­take in law. There are strict time lim­its for sub­mit­ting an ap­peal.


MY mother, who’s frail and in her 80s, was told two years ago that she’d been left £10,000 in her late brother’s will. But her brother’s step­sons and the firm of so­lic­i­tors in­volved say she won’t re­ceive any­thing un­til a busi­ness has been sold. Why should my mother have to wait so long for the cash which was in­tended to make her old age more com­fort­able? SOME­TIMES an es­tate ad­min­is­tra­tion can be com­pli­cated and cer­tain things will have pri­or­ity over oth­ers, for ex­am­ple pay­ing off debts and tax. The ex­ecu­tors are un­der no obli­ga­tion to hand over money or gifts un­til all pos­si­ble prob­lems and debts have been sorted out since there may be in­suf­fi­cient funds. How­ever, in­ter­est will start to ac­crue on lega­cies if they have not been paid within a year of the date of the death. THE house next door to mine has been empty for 25 years and is de­te­ri­o­rat­ing, but the owner flatly re­fuses to sell. I am now try­ing to sell my own house, but prospec­tive buy­ers are be­ing put off by the con­di­tion of the ad­join­ing house. Is there any­thing I can do? I’M afraid peo­ple can’t usu­ally be forced to look af­ter their prop­erty un­less it presents a dan­ger to oth­ers. The ti­tle deeds to some prop­er­ties can con­tain clauses re­quir­ing the owner to keep them in good re­pair; if you sus­pect this might be the case (from a sim­i­lar clause in your own deeds) you should see a so­lic­i­tor, although such covenants are no­to­ri­ously dif­fi­cult to en­force. The coun­cil is keen to bring such prop­er­ties back into use how­ever: con­tact the Hous­ing Ser­vices depart­ment. MY neigh­bour, who’s a builder, has put up an ex­ten­sion to his house ap­proved by the coun­cil. The bound­ary be­tween the prop­er­ties is at an awk­ward an­gle, and wa­ter from his roof runs down the wall of my house caus­ing us damp prob­lems. Can I dis­trib­ute pic­tures of the roof fault say­ing they’re ex­am­ples of his work? IT ap­pears that your neigh­bour’s hand­i­work is dam­ag­ing your prop­erty, and pre­sum­ably you would like to pre­vent that hap­pen­ing and be paid com­pen­sa­tion for the dam­age to your house. I sug­gest you con­sult a so­lic­i­tor and think about get­ting a surveyor’s re­port on the dam­age. I don’t think mak­ing a public is­sue of your dif­fi­cul­ties is likely to help you, and may se­ri­ously harm the prospects of a sat­is­fac­tory out­come.

Call SAS Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors on 0161 475 7676 or 01625 442 100. Visit­daniels. If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Weekly Law and You, MEN Media, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chesterton, OL9 8EF, or leave your query on the le­gal ad­vice line 0117 964 4794.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.