An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES - RE­POS­SES­SION THREAT

Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors I LEFT my hus­band last year and came to live with my daugh­ter. Can I force my hus­band to sell our house, which is in joint names, with­out go­ing to the ex­pense of a di­vorce? He says he will get it re­pos­sessed be­fore giv­ing me my share. You can force your hus­band to sell the house. How­ever the ac­tual di­vorce isn’t usu­ally the ex­pen­sive part of a cou­ple split­ting up; the ex­pense can arise where the par­ties can’t agree on di­vid­ing as­sets. It is pos­si­ble to sort out your af­fairs with­out di­vorc­ing, but from a fi­nan­cial point of view you’d prob­a­bly be as well sort­ing out both at the same time, and soon if your hus­band isn’t pay­ing bills for which you could find your­self jointly li­able. See a so­lic­i­tor im­me­di­ately to pro­tect your own po­si­tion, and no­tify your mort­gage len­der of the sit­u­a­tion. MY mother has made a will leav­ing half of her es­tate to my chil­dren, who are un­der 18 and not taxpayers. A friend has told me that if my chil­dren are left a large sum, say £30,000, then I will have to pay tax on their be­half. Un­less they al­ready have sub­stan­tial in­vest­ments, the in­come your chil­dren would re­ceive from such a sum would be un­likely to take them over their per­sonal al­lowance thresh­old, in which case they will be able to re­claim any tax de­ducted at source. If on the other hand you were to re­ceive the money in­stead of the chil­dren, the in­come it gen­er­ated would sim­ply add to your tax li­a­bil­ity, as­sum­ing you are a tax­payer your­self. If the MORE than 18 months ago a lodger dis­ap­peared ow­ing me over £4,000. He left be­hind fur­ni­ture and some big boxes, although I made no agree­ment to keep them for him. Can I sell his goods, or give them away? You are un­der a duty to try to re­turn the goods to the lodger, so you may need ev­i­dence that you have at­tempted to lo­cate him. The chances of any reper­cus­sions are prob­a­bly very slim, but I rec­om­mend you serve an Aban­don­ment No­tice to help pro­tect your po­si­tion OUR neigh­bour has chopped down part of our li­lac tree. He’s not only sawn off the branches that were

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.