Council in U-turn over street closure
THE council has made a dramatic U-turn over plans to tackle traffic problems on a residential road.
Former Mayor Lloyd Roberts has been campaigning for the closure of Coare Street, an access only route which he says is being abused by drivers using it as a cut through.
Last week, deputy leader Councillor David Brown told the Express specified ‘No Waiting’ regulations would be introduced but that there was ‘no plan to commence any work this summer as road traffic orders needed to be put in place.
But in a dramatic U-turn, Coun Brown, the cabinet member responsible for highways, has now confirmed the road will be closed.
He said: “Firstly, I want to thank the residents for their feedback.
“An initial informal consultation with residents provided a number of options for the proposed management of traffic on Coare Street.
“We have revisited these proposals and can confirm the scheme will include measures to enforce the closure of Coare Street, along with additional ‘no waiting’ restrictions.
“We are now entering into a formal process to move the scheme forward and will endeavour to keep local residents informed.
“I would also like to thank the local ward councillors who have been instrumental in helping us arrive at the best possible solution.”
But Mr Roberts, a former Tytherington councillor and landlord of the street’s British Flag pub, has accused Cheshire East Council of making a ‘mon- umental gaffe’ over the issue.
He said the council should have acted after the initial consultation was held last year when residents voted in favour of total closure of the road in a ballot.
Mr Roberts, who said the ‘ continual bombardment’ of almost 1,900 vehicles per day was affecting residents’ quality of life, welcomed the about turn.
He said: “While I welcome the cabinet member and portfolio holder for highways correcting his monumental gaffe in his last press release, he fails to point out the consultation and decision to close the street to through traffic were done last year and residents notified earlier this year.
“I know of not one person who has been consulted on the proposals since May 7, this year.”
See letters, page 14