Lawyers join the search for an­swers

Macclesfield Express - - BOSLEY TRAGEDY - STU­ART GREER

FAM­I­LIES af­fected by the Bosley mill dis­as­ter have in­structed lawyers to in­ves­ti­gate the cause of the blast.

The ex­plo­sion at Wood Treat­ment Lim­ited on July 17 killed three work­ers – Will Barks, Derek Moore and Dorothy Bai­ley – and a fourth, Jason Shin­gler, is still miss­ing.

Four oth­ers were taken to hos­pi­tal and many of the re­main­ing 30 em­ploy­ees on site with se­ri­ous in­juries and psy­cho­log­i­cal trauma.

The Health and Safety Ex­ec­u­tive and po­lice have mounted a joint in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the cause of the ex­plo­sion.

Now the

fam­i­lies

of those who died in the ex­plo­sion, as well as oth­ers left in­jured, have in­structed spe­cial­ist se­ri­ous in­jury lawyers at Ir­win Mitchell to in­ves­ti­gate.

Jonathan Betts, part­ner at Ir­win Mitchell’s Manch­ester of­fice rep­re­sent­ing the fam­i­lies, said: “We’re sup­port­ing sev­eral fam­i­lies af­fected, ei­ther from los­ing their loved ones or those who have suf­fered phys­i­cal and psy­cho­log­i­cal in­juries be­cause of what hap­pened.

“It will take some time for peo­ple to re­cover from the trauma of what hap­pened and it is im­por­tant that those who were in­jured get the help and re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion they need.

“Many oth­ers caught up in the blast have also lost friends and col­leagues and may need coun­selling or ther­apy to re­cover men­tally from this tragedy.

“We will now be seek­ing to work with the author­i­ties as we be­gin our own in­ves­ti­ga­tions into what hap­pened and seek to pro­vide the nec­es­sary sup­port for the vic­tims.”

Wood Treat­ment Ltd, part of the Bo­den Group, was warned of a risk of an ex­plo­sion two years ago.

The Health and Safety Ex­ec­u­tive (HSE) served an im­prove­ment no­tice on Wood Treat­ment Lim­ited in 2013 af­ter it noted it had failed to en­sure the risk of fire or ex­plo­sion from liq­uid petroleum gas stored at the plant in Bosley.

The com­pany later com­plied with the no­tice.

En­force­ment of­fi­cers from Cheshire East Coun- cil were on the site just two weeks be­fore the ex­plo­sion to make sure the firm cleared the area af­ter com­plaints of saw­dust.

The site was also struck by two fires, in 2010 and 2012.

A state­ment re­leased pre­vi­ously by Wood Treat­ment Lim­ited, said: “We are com­mit­ted to es­tab­lish­ing the cause of this in­ci­dent and we will con­tinue to co-op­er­ate fully with the emer­gency ser­vices and Health and Safety Ex­ec­u­tive.”

●● The re­main­ing fire in a silo at Wood Treat­ment Lim­ited was put out last week and the site has now been handed over to po­lice

●● Three work­ers died in the ex­plo­sion at the Bosley mill and one is still miss­ing, pre­sumed dead

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.