Drunken driver hit car parked out­side pub

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE - KAREN BRIT­TON

AMAN drank at a string of pubs be­fore get­ting be­hind the wheel, driv­ing into parked car and leav­ing the scene.

Michael Farn­worth, 70, had drunk two bot­tles of cider and three pints when he dented the car at the Pack Horse pub on Chelford Road in Bro­ken Cross.

Two men at the pub saw him col­lide with the ve­hi­cle and po­lice later at­tended his home and ar­rested him, Mac­cles­field Mag­is­trates court heard.

He gave a breath test of 74 mi­cro­grammes of al­co­hol in 100 millil­itres of breath, when the le­gal limit is 35mcg.

His so­lic­i­tor said it was a ‘rather sorry af­fair’ that Farn­worth, of Hightree Drive, Hen­bury, found him­self in court for the first time and said it had been a ‘sober­ing ex­pe­ri­ence’.

Mag­is­trates banned him from the road for 18 months.

Pros­e­cut­ing, Deb­bie Byrne said: “At around 9.45pm the com­plainant had gone to pick her daugh­ter up from work at the Pack Horse but another car col­lided with her’s.

“There was a dent and scratches on the pas­sen­ger door. Two male cus­tomers saw the de­fen­dant drive off and took de­tails of the ve­hi­cle.

“At 11pm po­lice went to his ad­dress in Hen- bury af­ter re­ports that there had been a col­li­sion.

“Po­lice spoke to de­fen­dant who had been con­sum­ing al­co­hol and he gave a pos­i­tive breath test.

“At in­ter­view he said he had gone out about 7pm and had two bot­tles of cider, then he went to another pub, the Bull’s Head, and had a pint of bit­ter be­fore driv­ing to the Pack Horse and hav­ing a fur­ther two pints of bit­ter.

“He re­versed out of a park­ing space and col­lided with a car.

“He got out and saw the dent, went into the pub to find the owner but it was busy and he went home.”

Farn­worth pleaded guilty to drink-driv­ing and fail­ing to stop af­ter an ac­ci­dent on Au­gust 10.

De­fend­ing, Steve McHugh, said: “It’s a rather sad af­fair that a man of my client’s years has found him­self in court for the first time.

“He’s ex­tremely re­morse­ful and did the de­cent thing the next day and went to the pub to give de­tails to the land­lord for the driver.

“It was a dent at a slow speed and he’s not drunk since. It’s been a sober­ing ex­pe­ri­ence which won’t go away for a long time.”

Farn­worth was fined £670 for the drink-drive charge and or­dered to pay a £67 vic­tim sur­charge, costs of £85, a £150 court charge. He was fined £250 for fail­ing to stop.

‘It’s been a sober­ing ex­pe­ri­ence which won’t go away for a long time’

●● Shaped by stone Tom Baskey­field and Mario Popham

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.