An­gela Brown

Macclesfield Express - - HOMES - TURFED OUT CHANGE IN DEED

Daniels LLP So­lic­i­tors I WAS evicted from a prop­erty where I’d lived for 19 years, and wasn’t even given enough time to col­lect my be­long­ings. As a re­sult the land­lord dis­posed of many of my pos­ses­sions, in­clud­ing pa­per­work and med­i­cal equip­ment. Are they al­lowed to do this? What are the cor­rect pro­ce­dures? IT de­pends on the grounds on which your land­lord was seek­ing pos­ses­sion of the prop­erty, but the no­tice pe­riod could have been as lit­tle as two weeks in some cir­cum­stances. Nor­mally the no­tice pe­riod for an as­sured short­hold ten­ancy is two months from the date of the next rent pay­ment date. Once the no­tice pe­riod has ex­pired, your land­lord would re­quire a war­rant and an evic­tion no­tice if you re­fused to leave. It’s a crime to force peo­ple out of a prop­erty with­out fol­low­ing the cor­rect pro­ce­dures, and you should see a so­lic­i­tor or a law cen­tre if you sus­pect this may have been the case. MY hus­band died last year. The deeds of the house are in his name only. Could you tell me how I go about hav­ing them changed into my name? IT will de­pend to some ex­tent whether there is a mort­gage on the prop­erty and whether the ti­tle to your house is reg­is­tered at the Land Reg­istry. If the house is un­reg­is­tered the trans­fer may be more com­pli­cated. But first you will need au­thor­ity to deal with your late hus­band’s es­tate, in­clud­ing the house, as­sum­ing your hus­band didn’t leave a will and there are no ex­ecu­tors to carry out the task. This will in­volve an ap­pli­ca­tion to the Pro­bate Reg­istry for letters of ad­min­is­tra­tion; and since you may need a so­lic­i­tor’s help with this you may find it eas­ier to ask him to draw up the deed of trans­fer for the house as well. MY neigh­bour got some work­men in to re­place his fence and in do­ing so they moved it over and took some of my gar­den. Who is re­spon­si­ble for this: the neigh­bour or the work­men? SINCE your neigh­bour con­tracted the work­men to re­place the fence, he is re­spon­si­ble for the fi­nal out­come. You should ask your neigh­bour to get the work­men to move it back to the orig­i­nal po­si­tion. If he re­fuses to do this you could take him to court, although un­less you took pho­to­graphs be­fore the orig­i­nal fence was taken down it may be dif­fi­cult to prove where it was in the first place. Go­ing to court can be ex­pen­sive and will not im­prove your re­la­tion­ship with your neigh­bour in any case. As a cau­tion­ary tale, there was a court case where the par­ties were ar­gu­ing over a pair of gates, which should have cost in the re­gion of £5,000 to re­solve. In­stead, both par­ties spent in ex­cess of £100,000 on le­gal costs on tak­ing the mat­ter to trial.


NINE years ago we had dou­ble glaz­ing fit­ted with a ten-year guar­an­tee. Re­cently I’ve had trou­ble with wa­ter com­ing in win­dows and doors. I con­tacted the firm, which told me the orig­i­nal firm went into liq­ui­da­tion and they have taken over, although they are still trad­ing un­der the orig­i­nal name. Is my guar­an­tee worth­less? IT’S pos­si­ble that your guar­an­tee was pro­vided by the dou­ble glaz­ing man­u­fac­tur­ers. If the man­u­fac­tur­ers are still in busi­ness this may be your

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.