Shots deal blow


MAC­CLES­FIELD Town lost ground in their bat­tle for the Na­tional League play-offs af­ter they fell to de­feat at the Moss Rose against Alder­shot Town.

The vis­i­tors scored in both halves through Al­fie Pavey and Da­mon Lathrope, and that was enough to beat a bat­tling Macc side, who will count them­selves un­lucky to come away with noth­ing.

It was the Silk­men who had the first chance of the game and it came from a fan­tas­tic solo run from Danny Rowe on the right­hand side.

He then played in an un­marked Danny White­head in the box, but the mid­fielder couldn’t di­rect his ef­fort on tar­get.

Just a minute later, Alder­shot had their first chance, but top goal scorer Char­lie Walker was un­able to di­rect his header from a cross on goal and the ball went well over the bar.

In an ex­cit­ing start, Macc went up the other end look­ing to make their mark, and the chance fell to Tony Di­agne, but he headed wide.

Ritchie Brana­gan was then called into ac­tion for the first time and it was a great save to deny Rhys Browne af­ter he had shot from dis­tance.

It was an end to end open­ing to the game, as Danny Rowe forced a strong save from Shots keeper Phil Smith who was scram­bling to reach the winger’s header.

How­ever, it was the vis­i­tors who opened the scor­ing when a cross from the right by Dan Walker was met by Al­fie Pavey, who headed past Brana­gan to make it 1-0.

Mac­cles­field looked to get back into the game and grab an equaliser and it was Rowe who had the chance from a tight an­gle, but Smith was equal to it and kept the ef­fort out.

The Silk­men con­tin­ued to push and a cross across the ground from Kris­tian Den­nis was met by Di­agne, who fired a shot nar­rowly wide.

At­tempts con­tin­ued to rain on the Alder­shot goal and it was Rowe again who tried his luck from dis­tance but it was met with an­other save from Smith.

Cap­tain Paul Turn­bull was next to have a shot on the op­po­si­tion goal when he tried his luck with a smart free-kick, but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Danny White­head came the clos­est to get­ting Macc level to­wards the end of the first-half when he curled an ef­fort inches wide of the post, but the hosts en­tered the in­ter­val trail­ing.

The se­cond half got back un­der way and Macc made a sub­sti­tu­tion, with Chris Hol­royd com­ing on for Di­agne, but it was the Shots who had the first chance of the half as Jake Gal­lagher fired over the bar.

The Silk­men made an­other sub­sti­tu­tion early in the se­cond half, as Turn­bull was re­placed by Chris Suther­land, who made an in­stant im­pact by caus­ing trou­ble down the right wing.

Mac­cles­field con­tin­ued to push as they tried to get that equaliser and White­head stung the hands of Smith with a shot from dis­tance.

How­ever, it was Alder­shot who dou­bled their lead in the 65th minute as a long-range free-kick from Da­mon Lathrope beat Brana­gan to make it 2-0.

There was al­most an­other goal for the away side in the 79th minute, but a fan­tas­tic save from Brana­gan de­nied debu­tant Ross Lafayette who had just joined from Eastleigh, mean­ing the match fin­ished 2-0.


Brana­gan, Halls, Byrne, Pilk­ing­ton, Fitz­patrick, Turn­bull (Suther­land), Di­agne (Hol­royd), White­head, Whi­taker, Rowe (Robles), Den­nis. Subs not used: Jalal, Cowan MAC­CLES­FIELD did record one win at home last week in the last week af­ter de­feat­ing Truro City


●● Danny Whi­taker cel­e­brates with Kris­tian Den­nis


●● Kris­tian Den­nis lines up his spot kick against Truro

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.