Doc­tor fled Aus­tria to make town his home

As part of an ex­hi­bi­tion which cel­e­brates Mac­cles­field’s Jewish his­tory, cu­ra­tor Basil Jeuda shares some of his favourite sto­ries.

Macclesfield Express - - CHARITY ROUND-UP -

DR Max and Mar­garete Tan­nen­baum were mar­ried in Graz Syn­a­gogue, Aus­tria, in June 1937 and this is their wed­ding photo.

They were a con­ven­tional middle-class fam­ily, tal­ented am­a­teur mu­si­cians, and were tra­di­tion­ally Jewish ob­ser­vant.

Af­ter the an­nex­a­tion of Aus­tria by the Ger­mans in April 1938, and in the face of vi­o­lent and racist at­tacks on the Jews, lead­ing to the de­struc­tion of Syn­a­gogues and Jewish prop­er­ties and books, the Tan­nen­baums had no al­ter­na­tive but to leave Aus­tria.

They were spon­sored by rel­a­tives al­ready in this coun­try, and ar­rived at the port of Har­wich on 31st March 1939 with baby Varda. Their visas re­stricted Max and Mar­garete from do­ing any­thing other than domes- tic work. Un­der the terms of Varda’s pass­port, she was per­mit­ted to en­ter the UK on the con­di­tion she ‘did not en­ter em­ploy­ment’. Max was in­terned on the Isle of Wight and had his re­quest to prac­tice as a Doc­tor turned down by the Home Of­fice.

In 1941, he was ap­pointed as a House Sur­geon in Kent, and in Septem­ber 1942 he joined the med­i­cal prac­tice of Drs Gillies and Mark on Park Lane in Mac­cles­field where he stayed un­til his un­timely death in 1964. The fam­ily set­tled down well in the town and they lived at Mount Pleas­ant, Up­ton; he later be­came the club doc­tor and a di­rec­tor of Mac­cles­field Town Foot­ball Club. The Ex­press, re­port­ing in an obit­u­ary, said that “he will be long re­mem­bered by thou­sands of or­di­nary folk as a doc­tor and as a friend of the fam­ily” – and so he is to this day.

The ex­hi­bi­tion‘Cel­e­brat­ing Jewish Life, Art and En­ter­prise in Mac­cles­field Dur­ing World War Two’ - com­mem­o­rates the 75th an­niver­sary of the open­ing of the Mac­cles­field Syn­a­gogue at 62 Ch­ester­gate, now Charles Roe House, where the ex­hi­bi­tion will be held. It will run from Sun­day March 23, to May 2, Wed­nes­days to Sun­days, 11am to 4pm, with an in­vi­ta­tion only pre­view on March 20. ●● BASIL would like to speak to any­one who has mem­o­ries which could be used in the ex­hi­bi­tion. He is par­tic­u­larly keen to speak to Zelda Davis, who was mar­ried to Johnny Davis, who ran a fac­tory in the 1940s. Call 01625 426740.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.