Alcoholic died after overdosing on tablets prescribed for back pain
A MAN who struggled with alcoholism died after accidentally overdosing on tablets for back pain, an inquest heard.
Colin Knowles, 40, was found dead by a neighbour at his home on Athey Street, Macclesfield, after taking more than the prescribed amount of the tablets, a hearing at Macclesfield Town Hall was told.
The inquest, on April 5, heard how Mr Knowles would drink 12 cans of lager or a bottle of vodka daily, and had been known to take a large number of strong painkillers a day.
Speaking at the inquest, neighbour Samuel Morgan said: “On the Monday I knocked on his door four times but there was no answer.
“The key was in his letterbox so I opened the door. Then I found him in his bedroom and rang 999.”
In a report read out at the hearing, paramedic Stewart Blunstone said he found Mr Knowles was dead when he responded to an emergency call at around 3.30pm.
PC Nick Williams, who also attended, said: “Myself and the paramedic entered the flat, which was relatively tidy with no sign of disturbance.
“I found two cans of Carling lager in the kitchen.”
In a report read out at the hearing, Detective Sergeant Paul Basford said there are no suspicious circumstances.
Dr Rosie Oldham, Mr Knowles’ GP, said she prescribed a dose of tablets, but Mr Knowles’ friend Lewis Hibbert told the court he would take more than the maximum dose.
He said: “His tolerance was out of this world.”
Dr Janet Elizabeth Napier, senior coroner for Cheshire, concluded that Mr Knowles died on October 19, 2015, due to overdosing on the tablets.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, she said: “It is extremely sad.
“I think he was a very capable gentleman with a terrible start in life and then he got mixed up with drugs and had mental health issues and obsessive compulsive disorder.
“He did a good job getting off illicit drugs but replaced them with alcohol.”
She said that taking the number of tablets he had been was ‘extremely dangerous’ adding: “It really is surprising we weren’t here earlier.”
Speaking after the inquest, Colin’s brother Richard Knowles, said: “It was just a tragic accident.
“He lived at 100 miles an hour and dodged a thousand bullets.”