Macclesfield Express - - SPORT -

Nigel Read dam­age to the brick­work around my front door. Who is re­spon­si­ble for putting it right? our dou­ble-glaz­ing had to come back to rec­tify some mi­nor prob­lems. He made sev­eral ap­point­ments but failed to keep them, with the re­sult that my wife lost four days’ pay wait­ing in for him. The firm has of­fered us £100 com­pen­sa­tion but it cost my wife dou­ble that. FAIL­URE to keep an ap­point­ment could be re­garded as a breach of con­tract, and tech­ni­cally you may be able to sue the com­pany for any losses you in­curred as a re­sult. How­ever the firm could ar­gue that it wasn’t aware that your wife would suf­fer loss of earn­ings, or that she didn’t need to wait in the whole day. A court might think their of­fer of £100 was rea­son­able in the cir­cum­stances, so it would prob­a­bly be ad­vis­able to ac­cept it. And per­haps go else­where if you need fur­ther dou­bleglaz­ing.


MY only rel­a­tive is my son, so I haven’t made a will on the as­sump­tion that ev­ery­thing I own will be his one day. I have some money in the bank to cover fu­neral costs, and they tell me that as long as my son pro­duces my death cer­tifi­cate he will have no trou­ble get­ting the money. Is this cor­rect? ONLY in so far as the fu­neral will be paid for. It’s true that, where sums less than £5,000 are in­volved, banks and build­ings so­ci­eties may agree to pay out on pro­duc­tion of a death cer­tifi­cate and the swear­ing of a dec­la­ra­tion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.