Faulty fridge caused heart­break­ing blaze

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE - KAREN BRITTON

AFIRE which left a fam­ily home­less and killed their dog was caused by a faulty fridge freezer.

Hay­ley Moss, 27, and part­ner Martin Moor­croft, 29, have spo­ken of their heart­break after the blaze tore through their home on Corn­brook Road, on the Moss Es­tate in, Mac­cles­field. All their possessions were de­stroyed and they are now liv­ing in a ho­tel.

The cou­ple had been out for a drive with new­born baby Ava and Hay­ley’s sons James Barsted, seven, and Jor­don Barsted, six, at lunchtime on Sun­day, Oc­to­ber 23, when the fire broke out.

Their pet dog Tyra was killed in the blaze.

Now a re­port by fire in­ves­ti­ga­tors has re­vealed the blaze was caused by a faulty Beko fridge freezer.

It comes five years after Beko be­gan con­tact­ing cus­tomers to re­place po­ten­tially de­fec­tive ma­chines in some Beko fridges, which had been linked to fires.

It is not known whether the fam­ily’s re­con­di­tioned fridge, which they bought last year from BrightHouse in Mac­cles­field, was one of the mod­els affected.

Hay­ley, a hairdresser, said: “It’s dev­as­tat­ing see­ing ev­ery­thing de­stroyed and we’re all so up­set about Tyra. Martin has lost his side­kick. We only had the fridge freezer for a year and didn’t think any­thing was wrong with it. If we’d been in the house, we could have been killed. You don’t ex­pect to go out and your fridge freezer to set on fire. We’ve lost ev­ery­thing.”

Just 45 min­utes into their drive a pan­icked neigh­bour rang to say smoke was com­ing from the house. The fam­ily rushed back as friend Kiomi Walker and other neigh­bours tried to save the fam­ily dog Tyra, a three-year-old Stafford­shire bull ter­rier, from the house. They broke down the front door but thick smoke pre­vented them from go­ing in and they couldn’t save Tyra.

Three fire crews fought the blaze but the toxic smoke de­stroyed ev­ery room. Tyra was found dead in the liv­ing room.

The fam­ily bought the re­con­di­tioned fridge freezer from BrightHouse in Mac­cles­field last Novem­ber but do not know the model num­ber or when it was made.

An in­ci­dent re­port has shown the cause of the fire to be their Beko fridge freezer.

A Beko spokesman said: “The safety of our cus­tomers comes first how­ever we have not been made aware of this in­ci­dent.

“We urge the cus­tomer to get in touch so we can in­ves­ti­gate fur­ther.”

Sta­tion Man­ager Neil Win­stan­ley, from Cheshire Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice, said: “Any fire can be lethal but fires in­volv­ing fridge freez­ers de­velop rapidly and pro­duce an enor­mous amount of toxic smoke. We be­lieve the most prob­a­ble cause of the fire was the fridge freezer. Thou­sands of con­sumers are miss­ing out on prod­uct safety warn­ings as they fail to reg­is­ter their ap­pli­ances. I urge every­one to visit reg­is­termyap­pli­ance.org.uk.”

The Ex­press con­tacted BrightHouse but had not heard from the com­pany at the time of go­ing to press.

Fire dam­age at the house in Corn­brook Road. Above left, dog Tyra. Top left, Hay­ley and Martin

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.