Driver who killed great-gran is jailed

Macclesfield Express - - FRONT PAGE - STU­ART GREER

ASPEEDING mo­torist who killed a great-gran in front of her part­ner has been jailed.

Mar­ion Ferny­hough, 69, from Rush­ton-Spencer, sus­tained fa­tal in­juries after she was hit by a van in Mar­ton on Oc­to­ber 2.

The driver, Michael Pea­cock, 32, had been driv­ing at be­tween 42 and 46mph, well above the 30mph limit.

Pea­cock ran to Mrs Ferny­hough’s aid but her in­juries were so se­vere she could not be saved and died in hos­pi­tal.

Pea­cock, of Ash­wood Close, Tyldes­ley, ad­mit­ted caus­ing death by care­less driv­ing.

Sen­tenc­ing him to 10 months in prison, Judge Roger Dut­ton de­scribed the ac­ci­dent as ‘a tragedy of mon­u­men­tal pro­por­tions’.

He said: “The level of care­less­ness was not short of dan­ger­ous driv­ing.

“This will re­main with you for the rest of your life.”

The court heard that Mrs Ferny­hough, a farmer and widow, had been cel­e­brat­ing the harvest fes­ti­val at St James’ Church and then the Daven­port Arms with the com­mu­nity in­clud­ing her part­ner David Quinn.

Maria Mas­selis, pros­e­cut­ing, said Mrs Ferny­hough was hit by the van trav­el­ling from the Con­gle­ton direction around 9pm as she and Mr Quinn went to cross the A34.

The court heard Pea­cock failed to see her in time and made a last minute ef­fort to brake and steer away.

At the time of the inci- dent Pea­cock told Mr Quinn he hadn’t seen her and was only go­ing 40mph, Ms Mas­selis said.

Joe Rawl­ings, de­fend­ing, said Pea­cock, a dad of four, had suf­fered from de­pres­sion since the tragedy and even moved from the area.

He said: “Noth­ing Mr Pea­cock can say will con­sole her fam­ily, but he is very sorry. He would do any­thing to turn the clock back.”

Judge Dut­ton added: “Mr Quinn had ev­ery right to ex­pect to be able to live the rest of his life with Mrs Ferny­hough’s friend­ship and com­pan­ion­ship but that was not to be and that was cut short.

“I hope he has lovely mem­o­ries of their time to­gether.”

At the time of her death Mrs Ferny­hough’s fam­ily paid trib­ute to some­one who put ‘an enor­mous amount of en­ergy and en­thu­si­asm in ev­ery­thing she did’.

Pea­cock was also banned from driv­ing for two years and five months and or­dered to take an ex­tended driv­ing test.

Mar­ion Ferny­hough

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.