DID WE LOSE? Muamba’s first words after heart attack
HEART attack football star Fabrice Muamba’s first words after he woke up were ‘DID WE LOSE?’
The Bolton Wanderers midfielder is still in intensive care collapsing during his side’s FA Cup clash with Tottenham on Saturday.
But he has recovered enough to be able to hold a conversation and according to pal Aime Esalo, when he came round he wanted to know how the match had ended.
Esalo said: “When Fabrice came round his dad Marcel asked if he knew who he was.
“Fabrice said ‘yes’, and the next thing he asked was ‘did we lose?’
“When he was told the game had been stopped he asked why, and Marcel told him it was ‘because of you’.” The fact the 23-year-old is talking so soon after his cardiac arrest has amazed medics.
He is being treated at The London Chest Hospital, and Amanda Varnava, consultant cardiologist at St Mary’s Hospital in London, reckons the news that Muamba was speaking “...is amazing”.
She added: “If they took him off sedation, that means he has a very good outlook. If his brain is sufficiently recovered in quick enough time to enable him to speak, the outlook for his brain is good. It may not be 100 per cent, but it’s good.”
Bolton manager Owen Coyle said he would ‘never have imagined’ his player would begin to recover so quickly”.
He added that he had managed to “exchange a few words” with him.
“Fabrice is still in intensive care, remains critical, but there has been improvement,’ he said.
“I had a conversation, a few words exchanged, which is a great sign.”
Muamba’s fiancée, Shauna Magunda, 27, the mother of his threeyear-old son, wrote on Twitter: “All your prayers are working people thank u so so much.”
STAR: The real Tulisa ( is said to be gutted about fake pics of her appearing
online IMPROVED: Fabrice with his
WORDS: Bolton boss Coyle