Ex­plod­ing tow­els spark fire frenzy

Midweek Sport - - NEWS -

A FIRE chief has is­sued a shock warn­ing about “ex­plod­ing tea tow­els”.

Fire com­man­der Mark Rist says mod­ern chem­i­cals and cook­ing fats can cause a build up of heat in piles of laun­dry.

And he pressed the panic but­ton af­ter two in­ci­dents of the dan­ger­ous phe­nom­e­non in 24 hours.

The fire boss said blazes at Brighton Col­lege and the re­sort’s Terre a Terre res­tau­rant were caused by “spon­ta­neously com­bust­ing laun­dry”.

At Terre a Terre, a pile of tum­ble-dried tow­els left in the kitchen overnight sud­denly burst into flames.

The blaze gut­ted the kitchen be­yond re­pair.

At Brighton Col­lege’s blaze, it took six fire­men to put out the flames.

Com­man­der Rist said “We’d ad­vise peo­ple to make sure laun­dry is well aired af­ter dry­ing to make sure this doesn’t hap­pen.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.