‘Blender death’ firm fined £200k
A FIRM has been fined £200,000 after a worker died when he was pulled into an industrial blender.
George Major, 51, was clearing material from the machine at pellet makers Rettenmaier UK in Mansfield, Notts, when it unexpectedly started up.
The incident, four years ago, was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which found that a guard had been removed from the machine, which had not been locked off from the electricity supply.
Investigators found Mr Major had been helping to clear a blockage when he was dragged into the blender and killed.
The company admitted breaching safety acts at Nottingham Crown Court.
The HSE’s Samantha Farrar said: “This tragic incident could have so easily been avoided.”