MAN IS CHASED TO DEATH ON RAIL TRACKS
POLICE have begun a murder investigation following the discovery of a man’s body on railway tracks after he is believed to have been chased.
Detectives from British Transport Police (BTP) initially thought the incident was not suspicious, but said further enquiries have brought new information to light.
Officers were called to Knockholt station, in Kent, at 12.05am on Monday following reports from a train driver that a body had been seen on the tracks near the station.
Police believe that shortly before 9.30pm on Sunday, the victim was chased into the station by another man.
The victim was then chased onto the tracks.
A short while later, the other man walked back onto the platform and exited the station.
A BTP spokeswoman said it is not yet clear whether the man was hit by a train or fatally injured by other means.
Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Paul Langley, said: “Understandably, this is an incredibly upsetting incident for this man’s family and we have specialist family liaison officers offering them support.
“Whilst formal identification is yet to take place, we believe this man to be a 24-year-old from the Croydon area of London.
“A post-mortem examination will take place in the coming days, from this we hope to understand exactly how this man died.
“In the meantime, we are trawling through all available CCTV and looking to speak with any witnesses or local residents who saw or heard anything.”
MURDER PROBE: Knockholt train station