Motor Sport News - - Sporting Scene - By Gra­ham Brown Re­sults Photos: Colin Casser­ley and

Or­gan­iser: Spede­worth When: March 28 Where: Foxhall In­ter­na­tional Race­way, Ip­swich Starters: 23

Fol­low­ing on from his storm­ing fi­nal vic­tory at Hed­nes­ford a fort­night ear­lier, Danny Fiske played his Joker at Ip­swich and used the four new tyres that went with it to re­peat the ex­er­cise on Bank Holiday Mon­day.

In con­trast to much of the coun­try, Foxhall Heath was blessed with sun­shine and a rac­ing sur­face free from any form of rain.

Aaron Dew took the lead at the start of the first race but didn’t have much time to en­joy it as NHR debu­tant Lee Mor­gan shed a rear wheel from his Mercedes, bring­ing on a manda­tory cau­tion.

The restart pitched Dew into a duel for the lead with Shaun Tay­lor but it wasn’t long be­fore the leader be­gan to pull away, Tay­lor’s strug­gle to keep up hav­ing also car­ried him well clear of third man Danny Hunn.

But the man to watch in the lat­ter half of the race was Fiske. Af­ter catch­ing a lurid slide at the exit from turn four while try­ing to wrest fifth spot away from Steve Dud­man, ‘The Wild­man’ Fiske was on an en­ter­tain­ing charge for the rest of the way. He didn’t quite man­age to catch Tay­lor but the sec­ond man was no doubt suit­ably grate­ful there weren’t any more laps left.

Heat two also fea­tured an early stop­page when Colin Smith went spin­ning and the ste­ward de­clared an un­sat­is­fac­tory start.

When they got go­ing for real, it was Tay­lor who set the pace out front, with Dew and Hunn the ones play­ing catch up this time. These three, and fourth man Mikey God­frey, were soon fairly well clear of a battling 12-car pack headed up by Ivan Grayson.

With the pass­ing of half dis­tance, Dew man­aged to set­tle on Tay­lor’s shoul­der be­fore seiz­ing his chance to dart past six laps from home.

An in­ci­dent near the fin­ish that left Ger­man vis­i­tor Winnie Holt­manns and Jack Blood locked to­gether in the wall at turn one later led to Blood’s dis­qual­i­fi­ca­tion.

Not sur­pris­ingly, Dew had an­nexed pole for the fi­nal, with Tay­lor out­side him and Hunn and Fiske shar­ing row two. That grid sug­gested Fiske ought to be do­ing the win­ning but Na­tional Hot Rod rac­ing is rarely that sim­ple…

He was, how­ever, helped along by Dew and Tay­lor battling side-by-side all through the open­ing lap be­fore they both got into turn three way too deep. Fiske cheer­fully ac­cepted the of­fered open­ing and once in front im­me­di­ately com­menced pulling away.

But for the third time of the day, this race too was also brought up short by yel­low flags for the spun cars of points leader Shane Bland and Billy Wood, who’d gone around in uni­son at turn four. This nat­u­rally closed the field right up and put Smith in po­si­tion to swiftly rel­e­gate Dave York and Dew to be­gin a pur­suit of the leader.

Fiske proved able to main­tain his ad­van­tage over Smith, though, and in the end, the sec­ond man was forced to turn over his po­si­tion to Kym Weaver, who was clearly quicker go­ing into the last half of the race.

It be­came an in­trigu­ing cat-and-mouse fight, with Fiske hav­ing to ne­go­ti­ate knots of un­co­op­er­a­tive back­mark­ers and Weaver steadily edg­ing nearer all the time. The gap be­tween them was a great deal less than it had been when they took the ‘five to go’ board and still there were back­mark­ers loom­ing ahead. But Fiske’s neat pass of one of them just a lap from home put it out of Weaver’s reach once and for all.

Heat one:

Heat two:

Na­tional Hot Rods Fiske bat­tles Smith at hard-fought event

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.