Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports -

A mighty His­toric For­mula Ford 1600 con­test be­tween Mark Shaw and Dan Eagling topped the HSCC’S 50th an­niver­sary race meet­ing at Cas­tle Combe as for­mer F3000 racer Shaw claimed his first vic­tory in his­toric rac­ing.

Shaw was start­ing his ti­tle cam­paign with Mike O’brien’s squad while Eagling, in only his sec­ond FF1600 race, was giv­ing the Lo­tus 61 of Andy Lan­gridge a shake­down run af­ter a restora­tion.

Eagling quickly re­cov­ered from a tardy start with a bold run round the out­side at Quarry and took the lead be­fore a brief safety car pe­riod. From the restart, it was wheel-to-wheel stuff as James Buck­ton and im­pres­sive new­comer Benn Til­ley tagged along.

How­ever, as the race de­vel­oped ex­pe­ri­ence told and it came down to a tough con­test in the best style of FF1600 be­tween Shaw and Eagling. It was Shaw who just got to the line ahead. “There was a lot of pres­sure on,” said the Scot.

“We were too evenly matched for me to pull a silly move and risk tak­ing us both off,” said Eagling af­ter a re­mark­able re­sult in the un­fash­ion­able Lo­tus.

The sec­ond His­toric FF1600 race was for the other half of the over­sub­scribed grid, which un­for­tu­nately meant that the top rac­ers were split across two grids. Cal­lum Grant was the class of this one but had to deal with a de­ter­mined chal­lenge from Ben Tust­ing. Tust­ing was never go­ing to win as he’d picked up a jump-start penalty, but Tust­ing’s pace against Grant put him far enough clear of Benn Simms to keep sec­ond.

Yet an­other vic­tory went the way of Michael Schryver’s Chevron B6 af­ter a typ­i­cally strong open­ing stint from Si­mon Had­field in the 40-minute Guards Tro­phy race. At the head of a ca­pac­ity grid, pole­man James Schrvyer (Chevron B8) jumped the start and that was all the in­vi­ta­tion that Had­field needed to dom­i­nate. Michael Schryver com­pleted the job while his nephew James did enough to negate the time penalty and take sec­ond.

“This car is like part of the fam­ily,” said Had­field of the car they have been rac­ing to wins for more than 30 years. Charles Al­li­son made it an all-chevron podium, while the GT divi­sion was all-TVR Grif­fiths as the Mike Gar­diner/ Dan Cox car led them home.

In a shake­down race ahead of Monaco, Ray Mal­lock took his U2 Mk2 to a stylish vic­tory in the front-en­gined For­mula Ju­nior race. “The chas­sis works so well,” said Mal­lock in trib­ute to his fa­ther’s 64-year-old de­sign. How­ever, as Mal­lock hit some gear­box is­sues, An­drew Tart loomed ever larger in the Bond and the gap was down to a sec­ond at the flag. “I was very happy to keep up with some­one like Ray,” said Tart.

Af­ter tak­ing third in the fron­tengined divi­sion in his Stanguellini, Stu­art Roach was on course to win the rear-en­gined For­mula Ju­nior race un­til bat­tery fail­ure stopped his Alexis Mk4. Young Cameron Jack­son, bat­tling with clutch prob­lems, took over in his Brab­ham BT2.

Both HSCC Road Sports Cham­pi­onships started with bumper grids and ex­cel­lent rac­ing as Lo­tus Elans won both races. In the 70s divi­sion, Ju­lian Barter was the class of the field but Peter Shaw (TVR Tus­can) was al­ways a ma­jor threat af­ter lead­ing the early laps.

The next day, Shaw switched to his His­toric Road Sports Lo­tus Elan and saw off a con­certed Mor­gan Plus 8 chal­lenge for vic­tory. Kevin Kivlochan should have been up there but qual­i­fy­ing prob­lems left his Mor­gan well down the grid. The reign­ing cham­pion quickly made up ground un­til struck by a mis­fire that even­tu­ally cut the en­gine com­pletely. Tim Pearce had a quick spin at Quarry but fought back to grab sec­ond from Richard Plant in his Plus 8s.

Cum­brian An­drew Park took first blood in His­toric FF2000 but had to de­fend hard over the first half of the race as Nel­son Rowe mounted a stern at­tack. How­ever, the lo­cal vet was hav­ing gear se­lec­tion woes and that prompted a quick spin, which pro­moted Benn Simms to sec­ond but Park was away and clear. Andy Jarvis topped the con­cur­rent Clas­sic Rac­ing Car sec­tion in his Pal­liser, while other sin­gle-seaters wins went to Peter Thomp­son ( His­toric F3) and Richard Trott ( Clas­sic F3/URS FF2000).

War­ren Briggs topped an en­ter­tain­ing His­toric Rac­ing Sa­loons opener as his Ford Mus­tang en­joyed a dry track af­ter a wet and slip­pery qual­i­fy­ing ses­sion that pro­duced an all-mini front row. Chris San­ders chased valiantly in his Lo­tus Cortina.

Con­cern over his gear­box, due to a lack of avail­able parts, forced Mark Char­teris to make a cau­tious start in the Clas­sic Club­mans race and prompted an ex­cel­lent early dice as Mal­colm Jack­son led in his 50th sea­son of Club­mans rac­ing. Spencer Mccarthy joined in as well, but Char­teris was soon able to take con­trol as Mccarthy moved through to sec­ond.

A fierce lead bat­tle in the Cas­tle Combe FF1600 opener ended dra­mat­i­cally when Michael Moy­ers tan­gled with back­marker Pete Dic­cox on the exit of Camp while con­test­ing the lead with Roger Orgee. Moy­ers was lucky that his car didn’t flip, but the race was halted and Orgee took the win once Moy­ers was re­moved from the re­sults.

The top three in the Cas­tle Combe Sa­loons race took each other off at Tower and caused an­other red flag af­ter charg­ing the tyre wall. Gary Preb­ble (SEAT Leon), Tony Hutch­ings (Audi TT) and Charles Hyde-an­drews-Bird (Re­nault Me­gane) were all elim­i­nated. James Win­ter won on the restart in his Me­gane af­ter hold­ing off Mark Wy­att’s Vaux­hall As­tra.

Josh Smith blitzed to vic­tory in the Sports-rac­ing con­test and David Krayem took Sports and GT hon­ours once the fast-start­ing Mit­subishi of Barry Squibb ex­pired.

Dave Maguire qual­i­fied on pole for the new Fi­esta ST race and when the lights went out, that was the last any­one saw of him!

New­comer Gra­ham Mcdon­nell took run­ner-up spot, with Brendan Fitzger­ald hold­ing off Hugh Mcevoy for third. In race two, there was con­fu­sion with the lights and ITCC reg­u­lar Kevin Do­ran grabbed a lead he was not to lose from the sec­ond row. Pole­man Maguire piled the pres­sure on but Do­ran was not be de­nied, with Mcevoy right with them in third. Af­ter jump-start penal­ties were later ap­plied though, it was Mcdon­nell from Mark Tur­ley, with Do­ran rel­e­gated to third.

Dar­ragh Den­ning was beaten away from pole in Ginetta Ju­nior Ire­land by Sa­muel Har­ron but Wil­liam Har­ron drove round the out­side of both at the Esses to take the lead – and the win. In race two, Sa­muel took the hon­ours, with Mor­gan Quinn soak­ing up all the pres­sure to hold off Wil­liam Har­ron for sec­ond.

Des Bru­ton drove su­perbly to take a dom­i­nant Ir­ish Sportscar win ahead of reign­ing cham­pion Alan Watkins. Watkins re­versed the or­der for race two, but Bru­ton kept the pres­sure on through­out.

Brian Hearty took an easy For­mula Sheane win from pole, with Paul Mclough­lin hold­ing off Richard Kear­ney for sec­ond. Hearty did the dou­ble in race two, but it might have been a dif­fer­ent story had Rob­bie Allen not started at the back. The Rga-backed driver charged to sec­ond with fastest lap, with Mclough­lin third.

Jackie Cochrane made his usual tardy start in the HRCA race be­fore charg­ing back to take the win from David Kelly’s Elan and Val Thomp­son’s TMC Costin. In race two, Cochrane got to the front early but a slight mis­fire, cou­pled with a late charge from Steve Grif­fin, meant he was glad to see the che­quered flag.

Andy O’brien was un­touch­able in the open­ing Su­per­car race, cross­ing the line over 10 sec­onds ahead of class re­turnee Alan Daw­son, with Peter Barrable in third. Barrable re­tired from race two, leav­ing O’brien to do the dou­ble.

Niall Mur­ray re­turned to the SEAT Su­percup se­ries and made no mis­takes to win from pole. Niall Quinn was the only one to keep him in sight, while debu­tant Rob But­ler came out on top of a great bat­tle for third, from Rod Mcgovern and John Far­relly. In the re­verse grid sec­ond race, Erik Hol­stein led un­til con­tact from Mur­ray sent him side­ways and cost him the lead. He hung on for sec­ond ahead of Far­relly.

De­spite start­ing from the pit­lane, Jonathan Fildes blasted his Ralt RT4 to the front of the BOSS Ire­land field, chas­ing the lap record as he pulled away. Barry Rab­bitt had some­how led the early laps af­ter an in­cred­i­ble start from the third row of the grid but grad­u­ally fell back. Noel Robin­son and Cian Carey com­pleted the podium. Fildes again charged through to win race two, from Robin­son and Ea­monn Mathe­son.

Hav­ing had his SEAT Ibiza remapped to suit the Fu­ture Clas­sics bar­rier time, Ti­mothy Dug­gan never put a foot wrong on the way to an im­pres­sive win in race one. Marty Moore took a good sec­ond, while Brendan Travers charged to third. In race two, Dug­gan just held off Adrian Dunne for the dou­ble, while Ai­dan Byrne pipped the gi­antkilling David Ham­mond’s Uno on the run to the line for the fi­nal podium place in what was a thrilling race.

Shaw nar­rowly beat Eagling

Win­ter de­feated Wy­att in ac­tion-packed Combe Sa­loons en­counter

Had­field/schryver Chevron led Guards Tro­phy en­duro through­out

Fildes’ Ralt ran away with both For­mula Li­bre en­coun­ters

Do­ran leads Maguire in sec­ond Fi­esta race but would be de­nied

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.