Brett Lidsey emerged from the BARC meet­ing at Brands Hatch with the points lead of the Miche­lin Clio Cup Se­ries af­ter two tense races at the Kent cir­cuit.

Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports - Pho­tos: Gary Hawkins

Lidsey was the win­ner in a de­layed race one, which was twice stopped due to the ar­rival of tor­ren­tial wet weather. When the open­ing round even­tu­ally took place in the dim light of Satur­day evening, Lidsey seized the lead from Sa­muel Ran­don at Clear­ways on lap one and he did not lose it for the re­main­der of the short­ened 10-lap race. Ran­don was dropped to fifth in that move and he even­tu­ally fin­ished be­hind Luke Pin­der and James Dorlin.

Ran­don got re­venge in race two as he stole the lead from pole­sit­ter Dorlin. The pair edged away from the pack be­fore Dorlin dra­mat­i­cally slowed with a car prob­lem and was forced into the pits to re­tire. Lidsey had raced his way up to sec­ond from fourth on the grid and he caught Ran­don on the fi­nal lap, where he tried a late lunge at Gra­ham Hill Bend and only just avoided con­tact. “[Traf­fic] al­lowed Brett to catch me more and more but luck­ily I man­aged to hold him off,” said a re­lieved Ran­don af­ter the race.

Phil Weaver made it three dif­fer­ent race win­ners from three Club­mans Cup races with a breath-taking drive from the back of the grid to take vic­tory in the fi­nale. In race one, which was dis­rupted by red flags due to rain af­ter just three laps, Weaver could not stay with Alex Champ­kin’s pace af­ter the restart, al­though he held on to fin­ish sec­ond ahead of James Clarke.

Champ­kin failed to line up on the grid in race two, which al­lowed Clarke a clear run from pole. He was caught and passed by Weaver at Pad­dock Hill Bend on lap four, but the Neme­sis driver out­braked him­self at Gra­ham Hill Bend and slid into the gravel, which he could not es­cape. Clarke then looked to be clear but was caught by An­thony Den­ham who passed by in his Phan­tom on lap 17.

Den­ham, who was “very pleased” with his race two win, led away from pole in the fi­nal round but he could only fin­ish fourth af­ter Weaver and Champ­kin stormed through the field to take the first two spots from the back row of the grid. Clarke filled the fi­nal podium place.

Katie Mil­ner “couldn’t ask for more” af­ter one win and a sec­ond place in the two Ju­nior Sa­loons races. Mil­ner beat pole­sit­ter Mat­teo Zanetti off the line in race one and dom­i­nated the event, but she had to come through the pack in race two af­ter get­ting caught out in the wet qual­i­fy­ing ses­sion. Luke Brown­ing claimed a pop­u­lar win in the sec­ond race with Zanetti round­ing off the podium in third.

Chris White­man en­joyed a dra­matic day in the Tin Top races as he fin­ished sec­ond to Chris Bas­sett in race one de­spite two spins, and then won the sec­ond race. A se­ri­ous crash for David Pack­ham dis­rupted the fi­nale, which White­man stormed through to win de­spite start­ing from the pit­lane af­ter the restart.

Tom Perry and Peter Spar­row shared the spoils in two po­lar op­po­site 2CV races. First Perry tri­umphed in a crazy race one that at one point had 10 cars run­ning nose-to-tail for the lead. Perry even­tu­ally tri­umphed with Ni­cholas Clarke, Martin Ri­man and Nick Crispin be­hind in a blan­ket fin­ish for sec­ond.

Spar­row won a much more se­date race two from Kris Tovey with Lien Davis a dis­tant third.

David Web­ber was eas­ily the class of the Cater­ham Sigma field. First he won race one by over 21 sec­onds, and then fol­lowed that up with another dom­i­nant per­for­mance to seal the dou­ble in race two. Dy­lan Stan­ley scored two fastest laps as he shared the Sig­max spoils with Lee Bris­tow. Stan­ley did cause a red flag in race one as he spun out of sec­ond be­hind Bris­tow, but made up for that by win­ning a dra­matic sec­ond race from Tris­tan Judge. Oliver Gib­son fin­ished sec­ond to Glenn Burten­shaw in the first Mega race be­fore he claimed the win in a dis­rupted sec­ond round.

Dale Gent dom­i­nated the first Quaife Sa­loon Cars race, but dropped out while lead­ing the sec­ond due to a me­chan­i­cal prob­lem. Rod Bir­ley in­her­ited the lead and he went on to beat Danny Cowan. Mal­colm Wise com­pleted the podium af­ter a drive from last on the grid.

Alex Curs­ley and Joe Mclaugh­lin came away with a win apiece af­ter two grip­ping Hyundai Coupe Cup races. Curs­ley re­sisted pres­sure from Wil­liam Tayl­forth to win the opener from pole, while in race two Mclaugh­lin grabbed the lead from third on the grid and sur­vived to win af­ter ne­go­ti­at­ing a mid-race safety car in­ter­rup­tion.

Six times North­ern Ire­land Au­totest cham­pion Peter Grimes took his first win of the year, beat­ing triple win­ner and points leader Paul Mooney by 6.4s on a day of mul­ti­ple penal­ties in Omagh.

Three py­lons for Mooney en­sured that he didn’t make it four vic­to­ries in a row, against a sin­gle py­lon each for Grimes and third placed Robin Lyons. De­fend­ing ti­tle holder Paul Blair won a close duel with reg­u­lar spar­ring part­ner Ash­ley La­mont for the sportscar class and fourth over­all, with large sa­loon win­ner David Thomp­son in sixth.

Ran­don won the sec­ond Clio race ahead of Lidsey Perry topped closely-fought 2CV opener at Brands

Mil­ner leads the Ju­nior Sa­loon field

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.