Formula E could return to London next year as Agag eyes June 24 slot
Formula E chief Alejandro Agag has confirmed that a London race is in the running for the June 24 slot on the 2016/17 calendar released last week.
“The two main contenders for those slots are London and Moscow,” said Agag. “We want to have very good options in place for either/or to confirm it. The team of the mayor of London is here today looking at this event. The mayor has expressed that he is supportive. The challenge here in the UK is the length of planning permissions. We need to decide very quickly where and how, if we’re going to make June 24. Otherwise we will do it in season four.”
Agag has also confirmed that he wants the race to take place closer to central London, ideally taking in sights like Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park Corner.
The move comes as Formula E looks to replace the Battersea Park venue which took place for the final time last weekend. Its place on the season three calendar has been taken by a doubleheader in New York.
Battersea Park has also been met by protests from lobbying groups claiming the race is damaging to the park’s eco system among other grievances.
Formula E drivers have said that the lack of a London round would be detrimental to the series.
“It would be really sad not to have a race in London,” said NEXTEV TCR’S Oliver Turvey. “It’s one of the greatest cities in the world and this track is one of the best out there.” ● Formula E’s season three calendar has been announced. The series will visit Brussels, Hong Kong, Marrakech, Canada and New York for the first time while Monaco returns from season one.