Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports -

James Clink got out of jail with the help of two safety car pe­ri­ods and re­cov­ered to win the fifth Track­day Tro­phy race of the sea­son de­spite spin­ning his Re­nault Clio to the back of the pack on the first lap.

Clink had started sixth, but emerged on the ap­proach to Cas­cades in third only for a cold-tyre in­flicted spin to put him into the gravel. He made his es­cape, but not be­fore the safety car had been scram­bled, which al­lowed him to catch back up to the pack.

An­other cau­tion pe­riod was re­quired on lap four after Neil House (Clio) spun at the top of Clay Hill and in­volved David Scar­bor­ough (Lotus Elise) in his in­ci­dent. The last lap un­der the safety car co­in­cided with the open­ing of the pit­stop win­dow and Clink, al­ready back up to 17th, took ad­van­tage. Other lead­ing con­tenders spread their manda­tory stops over the fol­low­ing rac­ing laps, so by the time they were com­pleted Clink cy­cled through on top.

“I dived in as soon as I could,” he said. “The team on the pit wall were telling me where I was and when I saw I was first I couldn’t be­lieve it.”

For a time it ap­peared that Glen Broster (Ginetta GT5) may threaten Clink’s vic­tory, but he ul­ti­mately fin­ished a dis­tant sec­ond. The pole po­si­tion Mini of Keith Gibbs and Martin Amery com­pleted a trio of class win­ners on the podium.

Pole­sit­ter Alis­tair Sten­house (BMW E36) built up a lead after pass­ing Mark Flower’s E46 M3 at Old Hall on lap two of the Track­day Cham­pi­onship en­counter, which he main­tained after the manda­tory stops. Steve Dar­bey had briefly taken over in front un­til Flower reeled him in, al­though it took sev­eral laps for the de­ci­sive move to come at Cas­cades. A late-race shakeup at Shell al­lowed Kester Cook to claim third in his Fi­esta.

An in­ci­dent in the planned Sprint race led to a de­lay ( see Rac­ing News, page 9), and meant there was only just enough time for a solo GT Cup Fea­ture race. Pre­dictably Jor­dan Witt (Bent­ley Con­ti­nen­tal GT3) scored his 11th win of the sea­son, de­spite hav­ing to serve ever-longer manda­tory pit stops due to his suc­cess. He was sta­tion­ary for 25 sec­onds longer than the John Dhillon/aaron Scott Fer­rari 458 GT3, but still won by more than half a minute.

Tom and James Webb took Class B vic­tory and third over­all even though their car was heav­ily dam­aged in the ear­lier ac­ci­dent. “We robbed some bits off Dad’s [Martin] car,” ex­plained Tom of the rapid re­build. “To come away with full points is un­be­liev­able.”

The quar­tet of BMW E36 M3s at the head of the Rac­ing Sa­loons dou­ble­header was per­haps too evenly matched to pro­duce thrilling rac­ing. Stu­art Waite led from pole to two race vic­to­ries, while Karl Cat­tliff made a slug­gish start from sec­ond to drop back to fourth in the opener, be­hind Nigel Innes and Stephen Pear­son, where he stayed. Cat­tliff gave him­self more to do in race two by bound­ing over the grass ex­it­ing Old Hall at the start, but he soon climbed back up the or­der to fourth with the rest fin­ish­ing in the same or­der as be­fore.

Ex-sax­max and Clio ex­po­nent Will Dav­i­son made it four Pro­duc­tion BMW wins from four, twice over­com­ing Matthew Wile­man in the wood­land sec­tion. Matt Swaf­fer ex­tended his points lead with two third places as ri­val Harry Good­man claimed ninth and fourth as he re­cov­ered from a first lap off.

Pho­tos: Rachel Bourne

Clink spun on lap one, but won

Jor­dan Witt topped GT Cup... again

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.