Motor Sport News - - Sporting Scene - By Gra­ham Brown Re­sults

Or­gan­iser: Spede­worth When: Septem­ber 24 Starters: 27

Brett Wal­ter fought off a stiff chal­lenge from the new Ginetta of Bradley Dynes to win both heats, be­fore Rob Mc­don­ald bested both of them to take the fi­nal hon­ours.

Within min­utes how­ever, Mc­don­ald failed a post-race tyre le­gal­ity check, hand­ing the win to run­ner-up Dynes.

Wal­ter had his Peu­geot planted on pole for the open­ing heat and ready to re­dress his dis­as­trous day at Northamp­ton last time out, while along­side him sat Dynes’ im­mac­u­late new G40R, the lat­est of­fer­ing from Carl Board­ley’s shop.

The duo dis­puted the lead from the green flag and re­mained at the head of what was to be some­thing of a scrappy af­fair, with nu­mer­ous spins and mi­nor col­li­sions mar­ring the early go­ing.

Sev­eral sep­a­rate in­ci­dents left Mikey God­frey in the bar­ri­ers and Terry Hunn’s Mazda limp­ing around with what looked like a small fire in the left-front hub.

Wal­ter had just started to gain a breath­ing space over Dynes when the yel­lows were out af­ter a col­li­sion ex­it­ing turn four be­tween Dave Garrett and Stuart Mclaird sparked off a home straight crash that sent cars off in all di­rec­tions.

Wal­ter leapt away ea­gerly fol­low­ing the clean-up. But the hia­tus seemed to have suited Dynes’ car more than Wal­ter’s, and the Ginetta was swarm­ing all over the Peu­geot as they took the last lap board. Dynes was nearly past on the in­side at turn two and put him­self ahead at turn three, only for Wal­ter to fight back and take the win by a mat­ter of inches at the stripe.

It was much the same story up front for the sec­ond en­counter.

Wal­ter again got away first but with Dynes chal­leng­ing hard un­til Wal­ter be­gan to draw clear. But when Wal­ter be­gan wad­ing into traf­fic he strug­gled to get through, al­low­ing Dynes to close in once more. Wal­ter fi­nally man­aged to es­cape the back­mark­ers and took the flag clear of Dynes again, their race-long chase hav­ing car­ried them half a lap clear of third man Mc­don­ald, although a penalty for con­tact put him back to fifth, el­e­vat­ing Ivan Grayson to third.

At the kick-off in the fi­nal Dynes man­aged to beat Wal­ter away from the out­side front row berth for the first time. Mc­don­ald – start­ing much closer to them this time – wasted lit­tle time in fur­ther rel­e­gat­ing Wal­ter as well.

Leav­ing Wal­ter to try and fend off Gavin Mur­ray and Carl WallerBar­rett, Mc­don­ald swiftly chased Dynes down, tak­ing the lead with a con­fi­dent swoop around the out­side com­ing off turn two.

That was the end of it as far as the lead was con­cerned, with at­ten­tion fo­cus­ing on the in­trigu­ing places scrap for the rest of the race.

Mur­ray and CW-B got the bet­ter of Wal­ter and then spent many laps in­dulging in side-by-side rac­ing, a bat­tle which even­tu­ally al­lowed a charg­ing Chris Haird to catch up and join in too. Waller-bar­rett and Haird both got past and then closed in fast on Dynes’ sec­ond place as the laps dwin­dled.

They had him all but boxed in be­hind a back­marker on the fi­nal lap but Dynes man­aged to es­cape the clos­ing trap in sight of the flag to re­tain sec­ond spot and, ul­ti­mately, the win.

Bradley Dynes (964) was the brides­maid in the heats and in­her­ited the fi­nal Fox­hall Heath

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.