Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports -

David Hol­royd edged out Mark Camp­bell to win the Swinging Six­ties out­ing at Oul­ton Park.

Pole­sit­ter Camp­bell streaked clear with Ke­iron Bail­lie and Malcolm John­son be­hind while Hol­royd had also got a bril­liant get­away and was up to fourth from ninth early on.

The quar­tet pulled away and Camp­bell, aware of his An­gle­sey suc­cess penalty, stretched his lead. But the Tri­umph driver went through the pits be­fore the win­dow mid­way through, ex­plain­ing post-race that he had jumped the start and thought he had a stop-go penalty. Fol­low­ing the stops John­son emerged in the lead with Hol­royd and an ea­ger Camp­bell now in hot pursuit, the lat­ter get­ting past Bail­lie when the Lo­tus 7 spun at Cas­cades.

Camp­bell then im­pres­sively grabbed sec­ond from Hol­royd around the out­side of Cas­cades late on, which be­came the lead in the clos­ing stages when John­son spun at Brit­ten’s and dropped to third. The Tri­umph weath­ered pres­sure from Hol­royd’s Lo­tus Elan to win but the 10-sec­ond penalty for the jumped start de­moted him to sec­ond, hand­ing the win to the de­serv­ing Hol­royd.

Tom Mens­ley scored a dom­i­nant win in Tin Tops, tak­ing ad­van­tage of suc­cess penal­ties for pole­sit­ter Rus­sell Hird and pre-race favourites Nigel Ainge and Danny Cas­sar. Mens­ley was in sec­ond by the time of the early safety car courtesy of an off for Glen Copeland. After the stops and penal­ties for his ri­vals, the Clio driver was able to take the win com­fort­ably. Hird even­tu­ally slipped to fifth while third be­came sec­ond for the Ainge/ Cas­sar Honda In­te­gra after a penalty for over­tak­ing un­der the safety car was ap­plied to Wil­liam Hardy.

Chris South­cott won the first Mod­sports en­counter in a safety car-af­fected race. He took the lead from Ian Stapleton at the start but a loose wheel on the CRX of Thomas Carey hit Tony El­lis putting both out on the spot. By the time the clean up was fin­ished there was time only for one lap with South­cott hold­ing off Paul Si­b­ley. Si­b­ley made amends in race two, win­ning from pole po­si­tion but Steven Moss’s bril­liant de­fen­sive driv­ing stole the show. In third, he held off South­cott un­til his re­tire­ment, while the MG driver was de­moted to fourth post race after ex­ceed­ing track lim­its a lit­tle too often.

Jonathan Mitchell won the Mag­nif­i­cent Sevens race after the safety car cru­elly de­nied Gary Bate. The lat­ter had pulled out a com­mand­ing lead be­fore Fraser Green­shields and Lewis Tootell got to­gether at the Shell Oils hair­pin. Bate pit­ted un­der the safety car, was held in the pit­lane and fin­ished a lap down in eighth. Mitchell and Cater­ham vet­eran Peter Rat­cliff diced un­til the late stages when the for­mer pulled away, the lat­ter fin­ish­ing sec­ond on his birth­day, and lastever Cater­ham race.

Bate was not to be de­nied in the Open Se­ries though, win­ning ahead of Mitchell in an in­tense en­counter. Bate lost out to his ri­val at the start and could not re­take the lead de­spite a wave of at­tacks be­fore the pit­stops. But, fol­low­ing the manda­tory stops and devoid of any suc­cess penal­ties, he emerged in front and held off Mitchell un­til the che­quered flag.

Roger Laven­der and Jonathan Tandy se­cured vic­tory in the New Mil­len­nium & Mod­ern Clas­sics. Pole­sit­ter and favourite Ni­cholas Olson started badly and even­tu­ally re­tired. After the stops and suc­cess penal­ties, Tandy weath­ered late pres­sure from Piers Reid to se­cure the win from sev­enth on the grid.

Pho­tos: Steve Jones

Camp­bell sec­ond in six­ties

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.