Na­tional Hot Rods: Hed­nes­ford

Motor Sport News - - Sporting Scene - By Gra­ham Brown

Or­gan­iser: In­car­ace When: Novem­ber 5 Where: Hed­nes­ford Hills Race­way Starters: 28 Chris Haird dom­i­nated the fea­ture race to take the top hon­ours, re­peat­ing his vic­tory at the same track just three weeks ear­lier. The world cham­pion was able to swiftly sub­due some early op­po­si­tion, with even a mid-race cau­tion fail­ing to de­rail his charge.

The open­ing heat kicked off in fre­netic fash­ion with re­turnee Ja­son Cooper tan­gling with Shaun Tay­lor, while Carl Waller-bar­rett and Billy Wood per­formed syn­chro­nised spins at the West Bend.

It was Nigel Beardsmore who grabbed the lead, hotly pur­sued by Colin Hitch and Steve Dud­man. Dud­man moved up to sec­ond and started clos­ing on the leader, who showed that there wasn’t a lot of grip on of­fer when he ex­ited the East Bend com­pletely side­ways at one point.

Once Dud­man got on terms the pair com­menced an en­ter­tain­ing dice for the lead, with Dud­man zoom­ing re­peat­edly up the out­side with­out be­ing able to make a pass stick. This ended with Beardsmore get­ting punted into a spin. Dud­man pressed on to the flag but was dis­qual­i­fied, hand­ing the win to the fast-fin­ish­ing Bradley Dynes in his Ginetta.

Hitch got a great heat two start, blitz­ing through from the sec­ond rank into the lead. Front row man Ken Mar­riott was soon into his stride though and went ahead as Hitch fell back to dice with Beardsmore and Lee Pep­per. That con­tin­ued un­til Hitch clat­tered the wall and slid to a stop, but this rel­a­tively mi­nor in­ci­dent faded into in­signif­i­cance when Mikey God­frey went spin­ning, spark­ing off a nine-car shunt which saw Aaron Dew’s Ginetta air­borne be­fore it landed on the back of Colin Smith’s car.

Fol­low­ing a clear up, Mar­riott re­sumed lead­ing but with Beardsmore and Rich Adams keep­ing close com­pany. With the fin­ish com­ing up, Adams, moved up to sec­ond and be­gan press­ing the leader hard. The pair traded places twice in the last lap and a half but it was Adams who was ahead when they took the flag.

Mar­riott and Dynes ended up shar­ing the front row for the fi­nal but with Haird and Ja­son Kew on row two, no­body was bet­ting against an­other Haird fi­nal. Well, ex­cept pos­si­bly Kew, who pulled off a de­mon start to cut ahead of Haird and im­me­di­ately at­tack Dynes’ lead, Mar­riott hav­ing been swamped the mo­ment the green flag came out.

Dynes did his best to stem the tide but Haird and Kew even­tu­ally went past one on ei­ther side, with Haird the one to hit the front and im­me­di­ately com­mence pulling clear. Then the leader lost a bit of time with some back­mark­ers, en­abling Kew to get back within touch­ing dis­tance just be­fore Tay­lor and Beardsmore ended up in the wall, prompt­ing a yel­low flag.

Haird was im­me­di­ately off and run­ning again once the track went green, leav­ing Kew and Dynes trail­ing once more, while an in­ter­est­ing bat­tle formed up for the mi­nor places be­tween Billy Bon­nar, Jack Blood, North­ern Ir­ish in­ter­loper Adam Maxwell and Gavin Mur­ray. This lasted un­til four laps from the sched­uled fin­ish when Blood’s mo­tor ap­peared to let go in the East Bend. With the track plas­tered in oil and wa­ter, sev­eral cars hav­ing al­ready spun and the cur­few fast ap­proach­ing, the stew­ards were left with no op­tion but to put out the red flags and end the race.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.