Pres­sure is back on boss af­ter home loss

North Wales Weekly News - - COMMUNITY EVENTS - BY TIM CHAN­NON

THE pres­sure is back on Col­wyn Bay boss Ash Hoskin af­ter two hugely con­tro­ver­sial de­ci­sions by ref­eree Barry Cropp saw the Seag­ulls beaten 2-0 at home by in­form Stour­bridge in the Evo-Stik North­ern Premier League Premier Di­vi­sion on Tues­day night.

Af­ter a bright start the Bay faded as an at­tack­ing threat against a vis­it­ing side on a six-match un­beaten run, but with Chris Sharp and Kevin Hols­grove both go­ing off in­jured and Zac Cor­bett sent off for a sec­ond yel­low card, they were de­fend­ing hero­ically.

New loan keeper Louis Gray was out­stand­ing in goal, but the ref­eree awarded a very con­tentious penalty against the hosts on 66 min­utes for what looked a per­fectly fair tackle by Rob Ho­p­ley to win the ball.

Then three min­utes from the end, Ho­p­ley looked to have equalised with a great header from a cor­ner, only for the of­fi­cial to disal­low it, pre­sum­ably for climb­ing.

Videos of the two big de­ci­sions clearly show the ref­eree was, at best, very harsh.

With Bay still reel­ing from that dis­al­lowed equaliser, Stour­bridge went straight up the other end and se­cured the points with a late sec­ond goal.

Although the ref­eree also sent off Stour­bridge sub­sti­tute Alex Penny in added time, that did not pre­vent him be­ing booed off the pitch by fu­ri­ous Bay sup­port­ers at the end.

Man­ager Hoskin said later: “I have no idea why he gave the penalty and no idea why he dis­al­lowed Hoppy’s goal.

“I’ve tried to speak to him af­ter­wards, but he re­fused to see me.”

A fifth de­feat in eight home games leaves Bay just two points above the rel­e­ga­tion places go­ing into Satur­day’s game at Ilke­ston, with Sharp and Hols­grove rated very doubt­ful and cen­tral de­fender Jor­dan Fag­bola still side­lined with a ham­string strain.

With Ho­p­ley hav­ing to play at the back be­cause of Fag­bola’s in­jury, Hoskin is strug­gling for strik­ers, with new Dutch sign­ing Al­fons Fosu-Mensah so dis­ap­point­ing when he came on for his de­but last Satur­day that he did not even make the squad on Tues­day.

At least the Seag­ulls ended a seven- match win­less run at the week­end when they came from be­hind to beat sec­ond-bot­tom Stam­ford 2-1.

The visi­tors took the lead on 18 min­utes, but Bay were level two min­utes later when Cory Wil­liams was brought down in the area and John Dil­lon scored from the penalty spot.

The match win­ner came on 31 min­utes with well-struck 25 yard free kick into the top cor­ner by Luke Den­son and although the Seag­ulls strug­gled to test the keeper in a nervy sec­ond half, they held on for three very welcome points.

“We’ve played bet­ter and lost, but I was de­lighted with the char­ac­ter we showed to come back and win af­ter go­ing be­hind,” said the man­ager.

“If we keep show­ing that same de­sire we’ll turn the cor­ner.”

Col­wyn Bay cel­e­brate their sec­ond goal in last Satur­day’s vic­tory over Stam­ford. The 2-1 re­sult ended a seven-match win­less run for the Seag­ulls. Pic: STEVE LEWIS

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.