Thug, 21, jailed for death threats in rail sta­tion ram­page

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Front Page - BY LUKE TRAYNOR luke.traynor@trin­i­tymir­ @Visiter

AMAN armed him­self with a makeshift knuck­le­duster and screamed death threats at train pas­sen­gers and staff which in­cluded: “Ev­ery­one must die!”

Reece Ste­wart armed him­self with a sharp­ened piece of metal and a bag of span­ners as he went on the ram­page at Maghull railway sta­tion last Oct-ober.

The 21-year-old held his arms out­stretched to scared Merseyrail em­ploy­ees, and shouted: “I’m go­ing to **** ing do you in! “I will tear you apart ... “... you in the suits, we are go­ing to die!”

Po­lice ar­rived at the scene af­ter Ste­wart ap­proached a train com­ing into the sta­tion, and banged on the win­dows as the con­duc­tor kept them locked un­til help ar­rived.

Ste­wart raged: “I need to kill two peo­ple in Hay­dock – there is a para­dox, ev­ery­one must die, that woman must die.”

He also warned a Merseyrail staff mem­ber: “Don’t come closer to me and I won’t come near you.”

In­struc­tions were given to em­ploy­ees to switch off the live tracks at Maghull sta­tion in case Ste­wart, or any­one else who he con­fronted, came into contact with the elec­tric­ity.

Liver­pool Crown Court was told how Ste­wart raged: “I’m go­ing to smash you up,” as of­fi­cers with­drew their Taser guns, which prompted him to fi­nally re­sist, and he knelt down.

Ste­wart was taken to hospi­tal on Oc­to­ber 24, and was not in­ter­viewed by po­lice un­til Novem­ber 8, choos­ing not to be legally rep­re­sented, as he fully ad­mit­ted what he had done.

He told po­lice that he “no longer wanted to carry out the threats”.

Zahra Baqri, pros­e­cut­ing, re­vealed how the de­fen­dant was jailed for 22 months in Fe­bru­ary last year, for a sav­age at­tack on his own mum, stamp­ing and kick­ing as she lay on the ground.

The par­ent was left with a frac­tured skull, a bleed to the brain, and mul­ti­ple lac­er­a­tions to her head and body, it was heard.

One rail worker said Ste­wart’s be­hav­iour was the worst he’d seen in his 27-year ca­reer. And Ms Baqri said the 21-year-old com­mit­ted the of­fence on the day he was re­leased from jail for a dif­fer­ent of­fence.

Laura Tip­ping, de­fend­ing, said that her client was now tak­ing his med­i­ca­tion, for a men­tal health dis­or­der as Judge John Brom­leyDaven­port told her: “This de­fen­dant con­tin­ues to be a prob­lem, and he does pose a dan­ger. Clearly, this is a young man who’s got prob­lems which he needs help with.”

And ad­dress­ing Ste­wart, who sat im­pas­sively in the dock, he said: “You were in a dis­turbed frame of mind, you be­haved in a very dan­ger­ous way.

“I’m told you’ve been mak­ing good progress.”

Judge Brom­ley-Daven­port jailed Ste­wart for eight months, and im­posed a re­strain­ing or­der so that he stays away from his mother.

Reece Ste­wart was jailed for eight months af­ter ter­ror­is­ing pas­sen­gers at Maghull sta­tion

The judge at Liver­pool Crown Court told Ste­wart: ‘You be­haved in a very dan­ger­ous way’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.