Black cherry gateau
2 x 410g cans of Princes Black Cherry Fruit Filling
Vegetable oil, for greasing
3 large eggs 100g caster sugar
80g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
300ml double cream
Grated chocolate, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease two 7 inch sandwich tins with vegetable oil and line the bases with baking paper.
2. Using a handheld electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until pale and light in texture.
3. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together, then add to the mixture. Fold gently using a metal spoon.
4.Divide the mixture between the prepared tins.
5. Bake the cakes for 8-9mins until firm and springy. Remove from the oven and turn them out onto a cooling rack. Cover with a clean damp tea towel and leave to cool. Remove the lining paper.
6. Using a bread knife, slice through the cakes horizontally. (You will just be using three of the layers). 7. Whip the cream in a chilled bowl. Reserve about one third for decoration. Share the remaining cream between two of the cakes, spreading it out evenly over the surface. Reserve 8 cherries for decoration.
8. Put the rest of the Fruit Filling into a sieve to remove some of the sauce, then spoon the cherries onto the cakes. Layer the cakes on top of each other, then place a third cake on top.
9. Spread a layer of cream over the top cake, then sprinkle on grated chocolate. Pipe 8 swirls of cream onto the cake, then pop a cherry on each. Keep chilled but remove from fridge half an hour before serving.