Round the Is­land Race record bro­ken by a minute

Practical Boat Owner - - News -

A to­tal of 1,342 yachts turned out to com­pete in the 2017 Round the Is­land Race, in as­so­ci­a­tion with new spon­sor Cloudy Bay.

The 70ft tri­maran Con­cise 10 achieved a thrilling race record on 1 July, when Ned Col­lier Wake­field steered the MOD70 across the fin­ish­ing line ex­actly a minute faster than the time set by Phaedo3 in 2016.

This will be the sec­ond boat in so many months on which Giles Scott, tac­ti­cian on Land Rover BAR (and sail­ing on Con­cise), will have achieved 40+knots. Scott was among some of the world’s finest sailors tak­ing up the chal­lenge of the 50NM clas­sic, which is or­gan­ised by Is­land Sail­ing Club. Along­side them were fam­i­lies sail­ing for fun, first­timers and ev­ery­one in be­tween.

Adam Gosling’s JPK10.80, Yes!, stormed round in IRC1 to take the cov­eted Gold Ro­man Bowl, awarded to the over­all win­ner of the race on cor­rected time in IRC.

The 2017 edi­tion of the race was full of ex­cite­ment, quite lit­er­ally from dawn to dusk. A north-north-west­erly wind in the high teens and some rain showers greeted the ear­li­est starters, who were due to set off west, down the Solent and to­wards the Nee­dles at 05:30.

The early weather also gave the rac­ers a fast start, closereach­ing down the Solent with the tide be­neath them; there were per­sonal-best times recorded to the Nee­dles across the board. A full list of re­sults is at www.roundthe­is­

Race res­cues

While pa­trolling the western Solent, the RNLI’s Yar­mouth all-weather lifeboat was called to two in­jured sailors, a sus­pected burst ap­pen­dix and a grounded yacht.

The vol­un­teer Yar­mouth crew re­ceived a re­quest for help from the yacht Quokka which had hit a sub­merged ob­ject just east of The Nee­dles, re­sult­ing in one of her crew sus­tain­ing a bro­ken shoul­der and an­other, mi­nor head in­juries. With help from the RNLI’s Lyming­ton lifeboat, two Yar­mouth lifeboat crew were put aboard. The ca­su­al­ties were trans­ferred to the Yar­mouth lifeboat and taken to Yar­mouth har­bour to a wait­ing am­bu­lance.

Later, the 48ft yacht Marathon re­ported the col­lapse of a crew mem­ber. The lifeboat came along­side just off Hurst Cas­tle, and the ca­su­alty (with a sus­pected burst ap­pen­dix) was trans­ferred to the lifeboat, from where they were air­lifted to hos­pi­tal by the Coast­guard’s search and res­cue he­li­copter.

Lastly, the lifeboat was tasked to as­sist Ajax, which had run aground on Ather­field Ledge. How­ever, when the lifeboat reached the scene the yacht had re-floated and was able to pro­ceed with the race.

Yar­mouth lifeboat crew board yacht Quokka with the help of the Lyming­ton lifeboat

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.