Chilli & dumplings
A fun and easy recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
SERVES 6 PREP 20min COOK about 45min
• 1tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
• 750g (1lb 10½oz) lean beef mince
• 2tbsp tomato purée
• 1tsp smoked or normal paprika
• 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
• 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• Large handful fresh coriander, optional, roughly chopped
FOR THE CORNBREAD DUMPLINGS
• 100g (3½oz) instant dry polenta
• 100g (3½oz) plain flour
• 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 150g (5oz) soured cream
• 1 large egg
1 Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4. In a medium-large casserole or ovenproof pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the onion, pepper and chilli until they start to soften – about 5min. Turn up the heat, add mince and fry, stirring frequently, until all the mince is well browned and any liquid has evaporated.
2 Stir in the tomato purée, paprika, tomatoes, kidney beans and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil and check the seasoning.
3 In a medium bowl, mix the polenta, flour, bicarb and some seasoning. Quickly mix in the soured cream and egg until just combined. Drop largish tablespoons of batter on the chilli mix.
4 Cook in oven for 20min or until a cocktail stick inserted into the dumplings comes out clean. Garnish with coriander, if you like, and serve.
PER SERVING: CALS 516; FAT 20g; SAT FAT 8g; CARBS 44g