Boro thirds hold onto per­fect start

Rochdale Observer - - TIME-TRIP -

LIT­TLE­BOR­OUGH’S 3rd team sur­vived a sec­ond-half on­slaught and treach­er­ous con­di­tions at a damp Head­lands Road to gain their first away win this sea­son.

Hav­ing turned over Duk­in­field with over 60 points at home last week, Lit­tle­bor­ough’s visit to Stock­port 3’s would pro­vide a sterner test.

Heavy rain meant that free flow­ing rugby would be at a premium. How­ever it was Lit­tle­bor­ough who would master the con­di­tions bet­ter as they got the first try of the af­ter­noon.

Henry Ash­worth made the orig­i­nal strong carry and as the ball was re­cy­cled quickly An­thony Bam­ford barn­stormed his way through two de­fend­ers to dive over. That gave Lit­tle­bor­ough the slen­der lead of one point after the Stock­port fly half kicked a penalty and a drop goal.

Back came the home side as they re­sponded with a close me­tre try to once more re­gain the lead.

The swing in the score­board would change for the fi­nal time mid­way through the first half as a quick tap penalty was put through the hands of Ash­worth and Hutchins, be­fore the lat­ter set free full back Aaron Jones to race around two de­fend­ers to dot down for his first of the sea­son.

With the score at 14-13 at half time, Stock­port came out in the sec­ond half and choked the life out of the vis­i­tor’s at­tack and while Boro’s dis­ci­pline didn’t help their cause. Stock­port spent the large ma­jor­ity of the half camped in the op­po­si­tion half.

De­spite all the pos­ses­sion, the home side could not break through a res­o­lute de­fen­sive wall Lit­tle­bor­ough im­posed, go­ing on to con­cede the next score.

A messy scrum five me­tres from their own line made the scrum half give a hor­ri­ble pass to his cen­tre within his own try­line. He then fluffed a clear­ing kick with an air shot mean­ing the loose ball fell per­fectly to James Muir who had the eas­i­est of jobs to dot it down. Tom Travis’s third suc­cess­ful con­ver­sion fol­lowed.

Stock­port man­aged a sec­ond close-quar­ter try and had the ball held up on the try line three times in a fran­tic fin­ish. But it was Boro who came away with the points and con­tinue their 100 per cent win­ning record.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.