St Mary’s in the mood for an­other fi­nal

Rossendale Free Press - - Sport -

●● Scott Wylie and Mickey Saunders RICHARD­SON CUP ROUND ONE COPPULL UNITED HAS ST MARY’S STEVE BAYES HASLING­DEN St Mary’s have been in the last three League Cup Fi­nals, win­ning two of them, and this away per­for­mance against Coppull United showed that they want to ap­pear in a fourth.

Putting the dis­ap­point­ment of re­cent league de­feats be­hind them St Mary’s out­played Coppull United with a bril­liant all round team per­for­mance, as 2 goals in each half brought a de­served 4-0 vic­tory.

St Mary’s started on the front foot play­ing some neat pass­ing foot­ball forc­ing 2 early cor­ners.

Coppull slowly got their game going but any threat was com­fort­ably snuffed out with a solid dis­play through­out the match from the back four.

St Mary’s con­tin­ued to push for­ward and they were re­warded on 32 min­utes when a mix up in the Coppull de­fence brought the first goal as the ball broke to Alex White who lashed the ball home from six yards.

St Mary’s keeper Danny Bell did well to pre­serve the one goal lead with a very good low down save from a Coppull for­ward with their only se­ri­ous threat on goal.

On forty min­utes Coppull were powerless to stop a bril­liant St Mary’s 2nd 0 4 goal as the ball was played up the left chan­nel to Scott Wylie he cut in field past two de­fend­ers and played the ball out wide right to Johnny Welch is first time cross found captain Mickey Saunders who volleyed the ball into the net be­fore the keeper could move to give St Mary’s a de­served 2-0 half time lead.

Coppull came out stronger in the sec­ond half but they were rocked on 55 min­utes with an­other well worked St Mary’s goal as Saunders beat the off­side trap and played in Wylie, his cross was turned into the net by young sub­sti­tute Leon Creech to fire home.

St Mary’s could have had more goals but the Coppull goal­keeper stood be­tween St Mary’s Scott Wylie pulling of two great saves to deny the St Mary’s striker.

But St Mary’s wanted more and the fourth goal came in the nineti­eth minute with more chaos in the Coppull de­fence as a Johnny Welch shot was blocked but he got the ball back and fired home from a nar­row an­gle to com­plete a great team per­for­mance, with four well taken goals and a clean sheet to send the team into the quar­ter fi­nals.

St Mary’s re­serves pro­gressed in the Ste­wart Rowe Cup with a 2-1 home win over Cros­ton Sports Club Re­serves, scor­ers were El­liot Lindo and Oliver Hall

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.