Cairns sends Bar­lick to sleep at Si­lent­night

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - Theguide -

BARNOLDSWICK TOWN ......................... 0 RUN­CORN TOWN ...................................... 1 SOLI­TARY goal from mas­ter marks­man Craig Cairns was the dif­fer­ence as Run­corn Town bagged max­i­mum spoils from their trip high in the Pen­nines to Barnoldswick Town last Satur­day af­ter­noon.

Run­corn started the game well and an early chance fell to Cairns who stabbed the ball past Bar­lick keeper Con­nor King but a quick re­cov­ery by Shaun Airey cleared the dan­ger.

Bar­lick then at­tacked and a low driven cross from Joel Melia was hacked clear by cen­tre-back Chris Rim­mer.

At the other end, a cross from Si­mon Thel­well found Cairns who nod­ded the ball to­wards team­mate Mark Reed but Jonathan Hodgkin­son read the sit­u­a­tion well and headed away.

Soon af­ter, a pow­er­ful shot from Run­corn left-back Michael Car­berry caused King to mis­han­dle, but the goal­keeper re­cov­ered quickly to grab hold of the loose ball.

Bar­lick’s Melia then cut in­side and shot goal­wards, his fierce strike par­ried well by Run­corn keeper Andy Met­calf.

The home side were press­ing at this stage and goal­bound ef­forts from Zack Dale and Melia were both blocked.

With the per­fect re­sponse, the game’s piv­otal mo­ment came on 17 min­utes.

A long clear­ance by Met­calf was headed on by Thel­well to Cairns who im­me­di­ately lobbed the ball goal­wards over King who, de­spite a des­per­ate ef­fort, was un­able to keep it out of the net.

Run­corn im­me­di­ately looked for a sec­ond goal and a free-kick from Mar­cus James was pow­er­fully headed goal­wards by Thel­well bring­ing a good save from King.

Bar­lick re­sponded and a tremen­dous 25-yard vol­ley from Jake Lloyd was still ris­ing as it cleared the cross­bar, much to the re­lief of Met­calf.

Cairns then had a goal dis­al­lowed fol­low­ing a nar­row off­side de­ci­sion by the as­sis­tant ref­eree who was well placed to make the call.

In the last minute of the half a free­kick from Run­corn’s Keiran Evans failed to beat the first Bar­lick de­fender who headed the ball clear as ref­eree Martin

A● Ash­worth blew for half-time.

The sec­ond pe­riod opened with Cairns and Reed caus­ing ma­jor prob­lems to the Bar­lick de­fence.

Cairns drove a cross in and Bar­lick right-back Liam Blades did well head­ing the ball to safety.

Melia, op­er­at­ing down the right, looked very lively for Bar­lick but his cen­tre was not pulled back suf­fi­ciently and Met­calf held onto the ball avert­ing any trou­ble.

Bar­lick con­tin­ued to press and a through-ball to striker Mark Threlfall pro­duced a lob that flew over Met­calf’s cross­bar.

It was prov­ing to be an ex­cel­lent ad­vert for Hall­mark Se­cu­rity League foot­ball with two evenly-matched teams play­ing some good stuff, fully ap­pre­ci­ated by the spec­ta­tors at the Si­lent­night Sta­dium.

Run­corn then pressed and a su­perb move started by Joe Holt in­volv­ing Paul McManus and Cairns ended when Evans’ net­bound shot was blocked by an out­stretched boot from Bar­lick left-back James Crorken in­side his own penalty area.

A tremen­dous vol­ley from Holt then struck Hodgkin­son be­fore re­bound­ing to safety.

As time be­gan to run down for Barnoldswick, Melia’s cross was only just too high for Threlfall. The home team were press­ing for­ward at ev­ery op­por­tu­nity and Run­corn were forced to de­fend in some depth.

Rim­mer blocked, James cleaned up loose balls and both full-backs re­ceived ex­tra help from mid­field in an im­pres- sive de­fen­sive dis­play to end the match.

But you al­ways get a late chance and in the fi­nal minute of stop­page time, a cross from Melia found the un­marked Bar­lick sub­sti­tute Ben Gor­man who headed just inches wide of an open goal.

Run­corn were last night hop­ing to build on their per­fect start to their league cam­paign with a home match against North­wich Vic­to­ria. Chris Her­bert’s side then travel to Squires Gate this Satur­day (kick-off 3pm) be­fore play­ing host to Boo­tle at Pavil­ions next Wed­nes­day evening (kick-off 7.45pm) for what prom­ises to be an en­ter­tain­ing clash.

Paul Wat­son

Craig Cairns was Run­corn Town’s match-win­ner at Barnoldswick Town last Satur­day af­ter­noon.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.