Su­perb Widnes sec­onds put an end to Al­trin­cham’s un­beaten mark

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - Sport -

Al­trin­cham Ker­sal II 12

Widnes II 15 WIDNES’S sec­ond XV re­turned to win­ning ways with a much-im­proved per­for­mance to de­feat the pre­vi­ously un­beaten Al­trin­cham Ker­sal sec­ond string in Di­vi­sion Two South last Satur­day.

Ker­sal were yet to lose a game this sea­son hav­ing won eight from eight in the league and also pro­gressed in the cup.

How­ever, a Widnes side wel­com­ing back a num­ber of key per­son­nel were too good on the day.

Widnes were on the score­board in­side the first minute of the game.

A Ker­sal mis­take from the kick-off led to a Widnes li­ne­out, which Chris Hall would win.

Matty Walker was given time and space to find Ed­die McA­dam who charged onto a pass to go straight through the op­po­si­tion cen­tres and race 30 yards to score un­der the posts. Cap­tain Josh Pa­ton added the ex­tra two to give Widnes the per­fect start.

Widnes re­mained in con­trol of the game un­til the 20 minute mark. It was the away side who in­vited Ker­sal back into the con­test as a penalty did not find touch. A num­ber of penal­ties al­lowed them into the Wids’ 22 and the pres­sure told as Ker­sal rum­bled over from close-range.

How­ever, Widnes re­gained con­trol and were mov­ing the ball well from left to right as Joe Pur­cell and Si­mon Buckle found space on the flank but they could not find a fi­nal pass to wing Josh Ar­gent.

It was for­ward Adam Wat­son who fi­nally found the wing after some ex­tended pres­sure, Ar­gent man­ag­ing to squeeze in at the corner for an un­con­verted try and Widnes went into the in­ter­val hold­ing a 12-5 lead.

The sec­ond pe­riod re­mained evenly matched for the open­ing 20 min­utes. A Pa­ton penalty ex­tended the Widnes lead to 10 points.

How­ever, a se­ries of in­juries to Clive Win­stan­ley and then Jor­dan Ec­cle­stone and Ste Cur­phey in the same play left Widnes scram­bling.

It got worse for the away side as McA­dam and then Wat­son both saw yel­low and Ker­sal scored against the 13 of Widnes to make it a three­p­oint game.

A fran­tic last few min­utes saw Widnes even­tu­ally hold on to claim a mem­o­rable and much-needed vic­tory.

Speak­ing after the game, Widnes’s sec­ond-team head coach, Dan Ne­wall, said: “I am made up for the lads to­day.

“That per­for­mance has been com­ing now for a cou­ple of weeks. The ef­fort was some­thing spe­cial to­day, the boys put ev­ery­thing into it and de­served the win.

“We played some re­ally good stuff at times and moved the ball well, and we were un­lucky not to score two or three times in the first half.

“It is good we are creat­ing chances – we just need to take them. We were re­ally poor last week at the break­down and turned over far too much ball but we spoke about that be­fore the game and it was much bet­ter to­day.

“De­fen­sively we were out­stand­ing again. We just need to stop giv­ing away silly penal­ties and let­ting teams back into games when we are in con­trol.

“Hav­ing a strong first-team is mas­sive for the other two teams. To­day is the first game all sea­son we were able to ac­tu­ally have a se­lec­tion headache.

“Com­pe­ti­tion for places is mas­sive, we had a great week at train­ing and it showed to­day.

“We have picked up a few in­juries so it is cru­cial we have as many avail­able again for next week for Whitchurch at home. We need to back up to­day’s win with an­other next week.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.