Fa­ther ac­cused of tod­dler’s stab­bing

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - Father Denies Stabbing Toddler, Two, In The Neck - BY OLIVER CLAY oliver.clay@trin­i­tymir­ror.com @Oliv­erClayRWWN

ARUNCORN fa­ther has faced trial this week ac­cused of stab­bing his own son in the neck in a jeal­ous rage due to a pa­ter­nity row.

At Ch­ester Crown Court, pic­tured, on Mon­day, Oliver King, prose­cut­ing, told ju­rors how the boy’s mother had been awo­ken by the sound of the child cry­ing at around 4am on March 20 last year.

She checked on him and found he had suf­fered a ‘gap­ing’ 3cm bleed­ing wound that was ‘ deep enough for his carotid artery to be ex­posed’.

Mr King said the de­fen­dant rang 999 and said the young tod­dler had been ‘stabbed in the neck with a knife’, prompt­ing the op­er­a­tor to ask how he knew that.

When po­lice ar­rived at the scene, in­stead of tend­ing to the ca­su­alty in­side, the fa­ther was ‘some dis­tance away’, Mr King said.

The court heard that what­ever was used to stab the in­fant was never found, with the crown say­ing it was then that it was prob­a­bly dis­carded.

Af­ter his ar­rest, the de­fen­dant tried to hang him­self while in his cell and was over­heard by a cus­tody of­fi­cer to say ‘what have I done?’.

Mr King said the de­fen­dant had a his­tory of be­com­ing jeal­ous over the boy’s mother, who was his on-off part­ner and mother to a sec­ond boy with him, and at times had be­come ‘para­noid’ that he was not the boys’ fa­ther de­spite his pa­ter­nity be­ing proven by a DNA test.

On the night of the in­ci­dent, the de­fen­dant had been so­cial­is­ing with his on-off part­ner, her brother, his own brother and an­other man.

The men had been drink­ing al­co­hol and tak­ing co­caine. At one point the de­fen­dant be­gan ar­gu­ing with the woman, and then ‘blew up in her face’, claim­ing the boys must have been fa­thered by some­one else.

It be­came so ‘ heated’ that the group called it a night and the de­fen­dant’s brother went up­stairs to sleep next to the woman in bed.

She was awo­ken at 4am by the sound of the twoyear-old cry­ing.

Paramedics treated the boy at the scene and he later re­quired emer­gency surgery.

Mr King said that although no-one saw the tod­dler be­ing stabbed, he said there was ‘very pow­er­ful cir­cum­stan­tial ev­i­dence’ to prove the de­fen­dant’s in­volve­ment.

The de­fen­dant, in his mid-30s and who can­not be named to pro­tect the wounded tod­dler’s iden­tity, de­nies un­law­ful wound­ing with in­tent to cause griev­ous bod­ily harm and one count of un­law­ful or ma­li­cious wound­ing.

The trial is ex­pected to last three to four days.

Tom Wat­son ap­pears for the de­fence.

Recorder Stephen Ri­or­dan QC is the pre­sid­ing judge in the case.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.