Sta­dium’s Bowles bowls over Stute with vic­tory in fi­nal en­counter

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - In Business -

ON Fri­day night in the Widnes & District Darts League, pre­lim­i­nary games in the Wil­son Cup were played.

At the Mill Brow SC, the Mersey took on the Ball who claimed the first two games.

Danny Cotterill then re­cov­ered a point for the Mersey, only to see the Ball edge fur­ther ahead through Ste Whit­field & Martin Ball (17 darts). The Mersey ral­lied, tak­ing three in a row via Danny Dav­i­son & Jay Dav­i­son, Danny Cotterill & Danny Ship­ley and Sharon Unsworth.

Karl Whit­field’s win for the Ball in the penul­ti­mate game made it 4-4.

The out­come was then re­solved as Danny Ship­ley took the fi­nal game and the match for the Mersey Ho­tel.

At Widnes Bowl­ing Club, Widnes Bowl­ing Club ‘A’ took on Farn­worth SC and bagged the first three games through Alan Clark, Scott Byrne and Mark Smith.

Farn­worth’s open­ing pair, Keith Allen & Tony Ne­wall put their team onto the score­sheet, only to see the Bowler’s Scott Grady & Joe Batty and Dave Ger­rard & Alex McGill take the next two games se­cur­ing their match vic­tory.

Trevor Chad­wick took the next game for Farn­worth, whilst Widnes Bowl­ing Club ‘A’ won the re­main­ing two games and the match through Andy Bed­dows and Joe Batty.

At Simms Cross In­sti­tute, the home side took on Hal­ton Sta­dium and con­ceded the first game to the vis­i­tors’ Alan Magee.

Brian Dut­ton then lev­elled for the Stute. Kenny Mur­phy put the Sta­dium ahead, but the Stute’s open­ing pair, Ray Dut­ton & Ged Mc­Part­land were on their tails.

This was a very tight match as a fur­ther two wins apiece from the Sta­dium’s Neil Ward & Tony Jack­son and Tony Jack­son and the Stute’s Brian Dut­ton & Glyn Owen and Glyn Owen made it 4-4.

It was a shame some­body had to lose, but as John Bowles took the fi­nal game and the match, it was Hal­ton Sta­dium who ad­vanced to the next round.

At the Mill­field, the Mill­field hosted Mill Brow SC with Dave Jones tak­ing the first game.

Ray Linger lev­elled for the Brow, but the Mill­field were on form as Alan Sut­ton added to their tally.

The Brow’s open­ing pair Dave Pow­ell & Ray Linger re­stored par­ity, but not for long as the Mill­field re­sponded, tak­ing three in a row via Danny Wood & Jamie Done­gan, Mike Howard & Billy Fox and Chris Hall, putting the Brow into an un­ten­able po­si­tion. The Brow’s Dave Pow­ell and Brian Spruce took the fi­nal two games, but they merely con­so­la­tions.

At the Crick­eters Arms, the Crick­eters Arms en­ter­tained the Gold­mine.

They con­ceded the first three games to the Gold­mine’s Karl Windisch (17 darts), Jack Dunn and Adam Mul­lally (17 darts). Wins from Gra­ham Fen­ney & Brian Dwyer and Ian Con­nor & Brian Mercer nar­rowed the gap for the Crick­eters. How­ever, the Gold­mine meant busi­ness, as they brought home the next three games through Ray­mond O’Con­nor & Barry Noo­nan, Lee Hayes (12 darts) and Peter Mul­lally (16 darts).

With the match al­ready in the bag for Gold­mine, it was the Crick­eters Arms’ Arthur Shone who took the fi­nal game, but it was just aca­demic in the end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.