No stop­ping Pid­geon as he flies in with a treble in su­per Moore win

Runcorn & Widnes Weekly News - - In Business -

Dids­bury Toc H III 26

Moore 46 MOORE recorded back-to-back vic­to­ries for the first time this year af­ter an im­pres­sive win at Dids­bury Toc H’s third-team last Satur­day af­ter­noon.

A quick-start­ing Moore were able to run up an im­pres­sive 19-0 lead with ex­cel­lent play from their back­line as they were able to ex­ploit gaps in the Dids­bury de­fence.

An ex­cel­lent use of the over­lap saw Sam Craven open the scor­ing, quickly fol­lowed by a su­per score by Joe Pid­geon.

There could have been a tri­fecta of Moore back­line tries, but wing Craig Millington was held up short of the white­wash.

Team­mate Jack Har­vey was in­stead able to con­vert.

The hosts were able to re-es­tab­lish them­selves in the game thanks to some strong run­ning from their for­wards.

As ever, Moore did not help their cause around the ruck and were con­stantly giv­ing yards away from penal­ties.

This al­lowed Dids­bury to pick up two fairly cheap scores to bring the game to 19-12 at the half-time in­ter­val.

Ea­ger to re­sist sim­i­lar slip-ups that have al­ready hap­pened this sea­son, Moore set out in the sec­ond half to se­cure the game.

A great kick-and-chase from the restart saw Moore pres­sure Dids­bury into mak­ing a poor clear­ance.

The ball was re­cy­cled well and Pid­geon was able to carve through the home side’s de­fence for his sec­ond score.

Again, Dids­bury looked to come back into the game and started to ad­vance up the field, again us­ing well re­cy­cled balls at break­downs.

Their per­sis­tence paid off and Dids­bury were able to grab a score to take it to 26-19 and leave the game look­ing some­what more wide open.

Moore were able to fi­nally take con­trol of the en­counter with an finely-worked move from the blind­side which saw debu­tant prop-for­ward Ash Wake­field crash over from short range to in­crease the lead to 31-19.

From there, Moore started to dic­tate play and man­age the clock well.

With Dids­bury des­per­ate to get back into the clash they looked to try to stretch Moore, but an awry pass was kicked through by Craven for an­other score and re­ally seal the game with un­der 15 min­utes to go.

Dids­bury kept push­ing and used an ex­cel­lent driv­ing maul to good ef­fect, pick­ing up a penalty try af­ter Moore col­lapsed the maul.

Dids­bury at­tempted the same tac­tics mo­ments later, but this time the Moore pack were well aware of the plan and were able to nul­lify it eas­ily, re­ally sig­nalling the end of the home XV’s at­tack­ing threat in the game.

The game was not yet over, and Pid­geon was able to se­cure his hat-trick on the day and eighth try of the sea­son with an­other ter­rific break to fin­ish the game at 45-26 in the vis­i­tors’ favour.

The re­sult sees Moore move up into fifth place in the North West Rugby Union In­ter­me­di­ate League Divi­sion Three South af­ter five games of the sea­son.

Moore have a rest week this week­end be­fore play­ing host to Knutsford’s first XV on Satur­day, Oc­to­ber 13.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.