FUEL YOUR FIT­NESS

For last­ing en­ergy and good health, fol­low th­ese guide­lines from sports di­eti­tian Kelly Pritch­ett

Runner's World (UK) - - Coach -

FOL­LOW THE 90/10 RULE.

Aim to eat healthily 90 per cent of the time. Your usual diet should be a mix of com­plex carbs (from fruits, veg­eta­bles and whole grains), lean pro­tein (from poul­try, fish, dairy and legumes) and healthy fats (from foods such as nuts and av­o­cado). The other 10 per cent of the time? En­joy your favourite treats.

MAKE SURE YOU'RE GET­TING ENOUGH CARBS

To be at your best, you need to con­sume be­tween 1.5 and 3.5 grams of car­bo­hy­drates per pound of body weight each day that you work out for 30 or more min­utes.

FUEL YOUR WORK­OUTS AND RE­COV­ERY

Have a carb-rich 200-300kcal snack about two hours be­fore any work­out that is go­ing to last longer than an hour and/or will have you run­ning at a harder-than-easy pace. Af­ter­wards, take in a com­bi­na­tion of carbs and pro­tein within 30 min­utes to help re­pair mus­cle dam­age and stim­u­late the devel­op­ment of new mus­cle tis­sue. Try low-fat choco­late milk, Greek yo­ghurt and berries, or whole­grain ce­real with milk.

PAY AT­TEN­TION TO HY­DRA­TION

Drink when you’re thirsty and dur­ing work­outs last­ing longer than an hour. You don't need sports drink af­ter short runs – or even nec­es­sar­ily af­ter long runs. ‘The key thing af­ter a long run is to re­place glyco­gen stores and to re­hy­drate – the ad­van­tage of a sports drink is that it does both and is por­ta­ble,’ says Pritch­ett.

ESTABLISH A ‘MAGIC MEAL’

This is the go-to food you can al­ways eat two-to three­hours be­fore a long run or race with­out suf­fer­ing ill ef­fects. Ex­per­i­ment with tim­ing and op­tions. Try a meal that's higher in carbs, moder­ate in pro­tein, and lower in fat and fi­bre to de­crease the chance of GI is­sues, says Pritch­ett – think toast and peanut but­ter, por­ridge or a smoothie.

GET USED TO MIDRUN FU­ELLING

You’ll run best if you con­sume 30-60 grams of car­bo­hy­drate per hour of ex­er­cise. If you an­tic­i­pate run­ning a two-hour half, that means you should take in en­ergy chews or a gel (washed down with water) at 45 min­utes and again at 90. Prac­tise on train­ing runs to ac­cus­tom your gut to midrun fuel.

STORAGE SYS­TEM Your body stores glyco­gen in your mus­cles and liver. Keep it topped up.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.