Un­happy re­turn

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

Rangers ................ 8 Clyde..................... 1 Clyde boss Barry Fer­gu­son en­dured an un­happy re­turn to Ibrox as the Bully Wee were de­mol­ished on Mon­day night in the third round of the Petro­fac Train­ing Cup.

Barry Fer­gu­son did not in­clude him­self in the squad at Ibrox as he re­turned to his old club but John Sweeney was added to the mid­field in the only change from the side that faced Queen’s Park last week.

A crowd of just 11,190 de­cided to at­tend the Mon­day night fix­ture but they saw The Gers dom­i­nate the match from the start.

The Clyde boss went with a front three that re­verted to a five-man mid­field when Rangers had the ball and in the early stages McCoist’s men saw plenty of it. But did lit­tle with it.

Iron­i­cally, it was Clyde’s first threat on Steve Si­mon­sen’s goal that even­tu­ally led to Rangers’ open­ing goal.

Fer­gu­son got to the bye­line on the left and de­liv­ered a de­cent cross that failed to con­nect.

Rangers broke from that with Clark end­ing a pow­er­ful run with a well-weighted pass into the right chan­nel for the on­rush­ing Boyd and the striker’s low shot found the bot­tom right-hand cor­ner of the keeper’s net.

The sec­ond ar­rived eight min­utes later. Boyd played a smart dummy, leav­ing the ball to Aird who dou­bled the lead with a shot that Jamie Bar­clay couldn’t quite keep out.

On 32 min­utes Rangers got a third and it was look­ing like a long night for the Bully Wee. Wal­lace fed Macleod who drove a cross in to the box and Boyd duly con­verted from close range.

Shortly af­ter the Gers notched up their fourth. Aird cut in from the right, slipped a square ball to McCul­loch and from the edge of the box, the cap­tain fired past Bar­clay.

On the stroke of half time there was yet more mis­ery for the Bully Wee. McCul­loch rolled the ball in to the path of Macleod who pro­duced a peach of a curl­ing shot from dis­tance.

Fer­gu­son made changes at half time as Ryan Frances, Gordon Young and Michael Daly all came on.

Clyde even ven­tured into Rangers ter­ri­tory and had a cou­ple of shots, nei­ther of which trou­bled Si­mon­sen, while at the other end Bar­clay did well to keep out ef­forts from Aird and McCul­loch.

Nicky Law floated in an au­da­cious chip that bounced back off the post.

Rangers made it six in 64 min­utes as Shiels drove at the Clyde de­fence and picked out Macleod who fin­ished from 16 yards.

Seven came as McCul­loch fired a scorcher of a shot in to the postage stamp cor­ner.

Boyd com­pleted his hat trick on 76 min­utes af­ter find­ing space de­spite having sev­eral de­fend­ers around him.

There was a shred of con­so­la­tion for the Clyde sup­port in in­jury time, with Kevin Watt fin­ish­ing well from a tight an­gle fol­low­ing some good play on the right wing.

Thrashed Clyde keeper Jamie Bar­clay (left) shows a de­jected look at af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.