Spi­ders back up to sec­ond

Win over Clydey givesg Queen’s a ma­jor boost in pro­mo­tion race

Rutherglen Reformer - - Drivetime - Will Hen­shaw

Queen’s Park boss Gus MacPher­son praised his side fol­low­ing their 2- 0 win over ri­vals Clyde at Broad­wood on Satur­day.

A goal in the first half from Shaun Rooney and one in the sec­ond pe­riod from Shaun Fraser sealed the win for QP and took them to sec­ond in the ta­ble, only two points be­hind Ar­broath.

Speak­ing to the Re­former, Gus said of the win: “We’re de­lighted with the re­sult. When you get a goal early it helps.

“At half-time we should have went in fur­ther in front and there’s al­ways that dan­ger that Clyde can come back in to the game.

“Clyde started the sec­ond half bet­ter than us, but when we got the sec­ond goal we were al­right, that re­laxed us quite a bit.

“It’s al­ways a boost to go away from home and win. Clyde are a good team and they had chances, but so did we and we played some good foot­ball.

“It was im­por­tant for us to get the points and go above Al­bion Rovers and cut the gap on Ar­broath.”

Next up QP will face East Stir­ling at New Broom­field this Satur­day with a 3pm kick-off

Although cur­rently mid-ta­ble, it is not an ideal time to be fac­ing the Shire. They are un­beaten in three games and thrashed Mon­trose 4-0 at the end of last month.

The last time the two teams met QP ran out 3-1 win­ners.

And although Gus knows it will a tough game, he is in­tent on get­ting all three points and con­tin­u­ing the Spi­ders good form: “They are three games un­beaten in the league, so we will ex­pect a tough game.

“They are start­ing to find some form and are a good side. They have been get­ting some good re­sults re­cently.

“They have a good mix of play­ers in their squad. We had a good per­for­mance the last time we played East Stir­ling, but we didn’t seal the game un­til the 90th minute when we got the third goal.

“We have to be re­spect­ful and main­tain a stan­dard. East Stir­ling will be play­ing with con­fi­dence but so are we. “

For the lat­est QP news visit the club’s of­fi­cial web­site on www.queensparkfc.co.uk. A goal in ei­ther half saw Queen’s Park claim a vic­tory over ri­vals Clyde at Broad­wood on Satur­day.

There were some changes for both teams from there squads the week be­fore.

At the Clyde end, fol­low­ing a lengthy ab­sence due to a foot in­jury, Iain Gray re­turned to the side in mid­field and he was joined by David Marsh and Scott McManus in the start­ing line-up.

And there were a cou­ple of changes in Gus MacPher­son’s line-up, with a groin in­jury to Scott Gib­son see­ing Ross Gal­lacher step in at left back. The other change was also on that flank, with Ciaran McEl­roy re­plac­ing Sean Burns, who dropped to the bench.

It was Queen’s who took the early ini­tia­tive in the match by scor­ing after just four min­utes. Shaun Rooney took full ad­van­tage of a dan­ger­ous cor­ner de­liv­ery and headed home at the near post.

As Clyde tried to get back on level terms, McManus forced Wil­lie Muir into a low save and Stephen O’Don­nell’s shot went just wide of the post.

The home side were more ad­ven­tur­ous and almost grabbed an equaliser after 25 min­utes.

Quinn’s headed clear­ance was picked up by O’Don­nell just out­side the box and his first-time shot went just past.

At the other end, Alan Martin pulled off a su­perb save to di­vert Dar­ren Miller’s free-kick off tar­get.

As the sec­ond half pro­gressed, Clyde started com­ing in to the game more.

Michael Daly twice came close to get­ting an equaliser. The striker had the ball in the net but was ruled off­side and then, a few min­utes later, saw his header cleared off the line.

On 64 min­utes Rooney worked his way down the right and put a cross right on the head of McEl­roy.

He con­nected well with the header but the keeper pulled off a good save at point blank range.

Martin was in ac­tion again to stop Ciaran McIlroy’s close range header find­ing the net but Queen’s did get a sec­ond goal on 66 min­utes, with Shaun Fraser even­tu­ally forc­ing the ball home after a ball into the box led to an un­tidy ric­o­chet.

There were chances for Clyde be­fore the end, with Daly un­able to con­trol Euan Mur­ray’s pass and Mur­ray then see­ing his header bounce just over the bar.

The fi­nal ac­tion of the af­ter­noon saw Rooney try to cap an ex­cel­lent af­ter­noon with a sec­ond goal. His shot from dis­tance was struck well enough, but rose just a shade too quickly and cleared the up­right.

CLYDE: Martin, Marsh, McQueen (Gray, 45), Durie, McGhee, Fer­gu­son, Smith (Mur­ray, 69), Gray, O’Don­nell, McManus, Daly.

QUEEN’S PARK: Muir, Rooney, Slat­tery, Quinn, Gal­lacher, Woods (Fother­ing­ham, 88), Whar­ton, Miller, McEl­roy (Burns, 84), Carter, Fraser (Wylie, 91).


Gus MacPher­son was happy with the win

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.