Queen’s win pres­sure points

Gus over­joyed as side show re­silience

Rutherglen Reformer - - Drivetime - Will Hen­shaw

Q u e e n ’s P a r k b o s s G u s MacPher­son praised his play­ers’ abil­ity to stand up to pres­sure after their 2-1 win over Mon­trose.

After scor­ing two goals in the first half, Gus ad­mits it got a bit nervy after Mon­trose scored a penalty on 64 min­utes to get back in to the game.

How­ever he was de­lighted with how his play­ers saw out the re­main­der of the match.

He added: “We were de­lighted with the win. It doesn’t mat­ter whether you’re at home or away, it’s im­por­tant to get off to a good start. We didn’t on Satur­day and strug­gled a wee bit. You’ve got to give Mon­trose credit, they put us un­der pres­sure.

“Against the run of play, though, we scored. That made a big dif­fer­ence to the per­for­mance. We got a sec­ond goal and were pretty com­fort­able un­til Mon­trose scored the penalty. But that was a good test for the play­ers, they de­fended very well for 25 min­utes. The signs are pleas­ing, when they’re un­der pres­sure they can stand up to it and de­fend prop­erly.

“We started the sec­ond half very well and cre­ated a cou­ple of chances but we lost a penalty against the run of play. It was a test for the play­ers and they passed it. It was the same in the first 15 min­utes of the game, the play­ers stoodup well to the Mon­trose pres­sure. Wil­lie Muir had a fan­tas­tic save and we de­fended well.”

This Satur­day Queen’s will face An­nan at what will be their last game at New Broom­field be­fore re­turn­ing home to Ham­p­den. Gus is hop­ing to sign off with a win and keep hot on the tails of the league lead­ers.

Gus added: “We would hope to. The belief in the group is there for ev­ery­one to see. The last time we played An­nan was early on in the sea­son. It was our first win of the sea­son. It was a tough game.

“They’ve turned the cor­ner a lit­tle bit and have got­ten some good re­sults. One of their se­nior strik­ers Peter Weather­son has been scor­ing goals reg­u­larly for them, so we have to be wary of that.

“We will try to get the three points. I don’t fore­see Ar­broath drop­ping points so we have to make sure we keep win­ning to stay on their tails.” Queen’s Park con­tin­ued their re­cent good form with a 2-1 win over Mon­trose at Links Park.

The away side took the lead on 24 min­utes. A lovely ball was threaded through the home de­fence and John Carter ran onto it, slot­ting past McKen­zie in the Mon­trose goal.

Eight min­utes from the break and Queen’s won a cor­ner on the left. Miller whipped in a ball seemed to be go­ing in at the far post. Just to make sure, Paul Woods got his head on the ball to make it 2-0.

Mon­trose got back in to on the hour mark. McIn­tosh pur­sued a ball in the cor­ner of the box and Bryan Whar­ton put in his first rash chal­lenge of the af­ter­noon to send the winger fly­ing. The ref pointed to the spot and Wood smacked the ball home to make it 2-1. QP man­aged to hold on for all three points.

QUEEN’S PARK: Muir, Rooney, McVey, Slat­tery, Quinn, Whar­ton, Woods, Miller, Carter (McPher­son), Fraser (Fother­ing­ham), McEl­roy

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.