Facility failed to supervise
Care Inspectorate hit out
An out of school service operating in the Rutherglen and Cambuslang area has been told it failed to ensure kids were supervised.
The facility, which cannot be named for legal reasons, was also told it had failed to implement child protection procedures.
The report, from the Care Inspectorate, was produced following an alleged incident in the facility’s toilet earlier this year.
A complaint was made by a parent following the incident, which allegedly involved two children.
The Care Inspectorate said the facility operates a toilet pass system for children going to the toilet.
On the day of the incident, staff “could not recall who had given the toilet passes to the children in question and they were unable to say how long the children had been away.”
The report states: “We looked at the toilet procedure which did not clearly identify how children would be monitored when toilet passes were given out.
“In summary, at the time of the incident the monitoring process was not effective as there was no evidence as to when the children went to the toilet or how long they had been in the toilet.
“However, while this part of the complaint is upheld we are satisfied that following the incident, action has been taken to minimise the risk to children and the toilet procedure has been updated to reflect this.”
The Care Inspectorate also concluded the facility failed to contact the relevant agencies following the incident.
The report said staff “did not see the incident as a child protection concern and did not consider contacting social work or the police.”
The Inspectorate spoke with the manager of the facility, the owner and two staff members.
They also looked at child protection policy, incident reports, two staff statements, a child protection officer statement, toilet procedure and updated procedure and the toilet check list.
The parent who made the complaint criticised the facility for allowing their child to go out to play after the incident.
They added: “I don’t understand why that was seen as acceptable.
“As a parent, I am quite shocked to find that not one of the individuals who were there to ensure the children’s safety knew who gave them the pass and no-one knew who had given the children the pass. “It’s alarming and concerning. “I would hope the facility takes all this on board. They should be open and transparent with parents and they are having to build the trust back up.
“We have a child who is traumatised with what went on and does not sleep at night. Hopefully they will recover.”
It’s alarming and concerning