U-21s’ win over St Peter’s ex­tends 100% record

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

Glen­cairn U-21s ...... 5 Giffnock North ........ 2

Peter Fer­gu­son Ruther­glen Glen­cairn Un­der21s main­tained their un­beaten record in all com­pe­ti­tions this sea­son with a hard-fought 5-2 win over St Peter’s Giffnock North Un­der-21s at Glas­gow Green Foot­ball Cen­tre.

The week­end’s re­sult moved the young Glens up into sec­ond place in the league ta­ble, only one point be­hind lead­ers Pol­lok Ju­ve­niles, with three games in hand.

St Peter’s weren’t show­ing much of a threat in the early stages, and Glen­cairn had a grip on the mid­field play which re­sulted in a gen­eral flow of the ball to­wards the visi­tors’ goal.

It was no sur­prise when the dead­lock was bro­ken in the 13th minute as the Glens took the lead. An­ton Phinn lifted a free kick over the de­fence, where Dale Wal­lace got a touch to the ball with his head, enough to knock it past goal­keeper Daniel McLean.

St Peter’s brought them­selves level against the run of play in the 21st minute with an ex­cel­lent goal. The ball was fed for­ward to striker Jor­don David­son, who hit the ball on the turn and it flashed into the top right hand cor­ner of the net past help­less Glen­cairn ‘keeper Chris Trues­dale.

There was a big shout for a penalty kick for Glen­cairn in the 35th minute when Phinn’s re­verse pass slipped in Wal­lace and he ap­peared to be tripped as he tried to shoot, but the ref­eree wasn’t in­ter­ested on this oc­ca­sion.

It was a dif­fer­ent story only three min­utes later, how­ever, when the ref­eree this time did point to the penalty spot for Glen­cairn. Con­nor McGui­ness drove into the penalty area be­fore be­ing clipped as he tried to shoot, and Ryan Ben­nett grabbed the ball to fire the young Glens back into the lead at 2-1.

St Peter’s were level once again in the 55th minute with a de­light­ful curled fin­ish from the edge of the penalty area by Greg McEwan.

The Glens went back on the of­fen­sive and Phinn pulled an ex­cel­lent div­ing save out of McLean, and it was the St Peter’s last line of de­fence in the way again a few min­utes later as he de­nied a low snap­shot by Ben­nett.

On the hour mark a throw-in from the left was flicked on by McArthur, and An­ton Phinn was onto it in a flash to drive a rare right foot shot past McLean and give Glen­cairn the lead for the third time.

Two min­utes later Ja­son McArthur spun away from his marker on the left and cut di­ag­o­nally into the penalty area, be­fore fir­ing un­der McLean to make it 4-2.

The points were se­cured with ten min­utes re­main­ing, as Ja­son McArthur linked again with Phinn be­fore fir­ing a low shot past McLean at his near post to make it 5-2.

Un­der 21s head coach Alex McArthur was pleased with what he had watched. He said: “That was a much bet­ter show to­day af­ter a couple of sloppy weeks. We were much more like our­selves to­day. We dipped for about a 20-minute spell but then we picked it up again, and it’s good to see all of our strik­ers scor­ing to­day.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.