Burn­side pegged back but hold on

Third win in a row for McIsaac’s men

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport - Mur­ray Spooner

Cam­bus­lang’s New­ton Aca­dem­i­cal re­main top of the Greater Glas­gow Premier AFL’s Satur­day Divi­sion Three af­ter win­ning 4-0 against ti­tle chal­lengers Glentyan This­tle.

Glentyan had won the pre­vi­ous fix­ture 3-2 in a tightly con­tested af­fair.

Satur­day af­ter­noon’s game kicked off in the sun­shine and it was Ac­cies who quickly got to grips with the match.

Burn­side United se­cured their third win in a row in Divi­sion 2C with a 4-3 vic­tory over strug­glers St Mir­renoff.

Fol­low­ing last week’s washout, Burn­side were ea­ger to get back on the pitch and con­tinue their march up the ta­ble.

United started strongly with Ian Henry caus­ing may­hem down the left side.

His low cross was too hot for the goal­keeper to han­dle and that al­lowed Alan Bruce to poke home.

Soon, Burn­side dou­bled their lead af­ter a long punt up­field was flicked on by Paul Hil­ston and met by the on­rush­ing Andy Boyce, who drilled the ball into the net.

The vis­i­tors were soon in dream land as Boyce ran through again to round the keeper and make it 3-0.

But the goal seemed to awaken St Mir­renoff as they started to take the game to Burn­side.

United goal­keeper Rab Dun­can pulled off sev­eral won­der saves to keep his clean sheet in­tact be­fore half-time.

St Mir­renoff fought their way back into the match and grabbed a goal thanks to a header that was flicked on and the ball looped into the net.

The come­back was well and truly on when a strike de­flected off Ste­vie Smith to nes­tle in the net.

But Burn­side set­tled the game when Dev Gray man­aged to bun­dle the ball home via

The first goal came af­ter 15 min­utes when a deep free-kick was floated long by Andy Kel­lock and, with the keeper hes­i­tat­ing, Kevin McFarlane was able to nip in and chip it over the keeper.

This goal seemed to make Glentyan more ner­vous and they strug­gled to keep pos­ses­sion. When their cap­tain picked the ball up in his own half and wanted far too much time, Nad Zeb was able to use his body well and steal it away from him and shoot into the bot­tom left cor­ner for 2-0.

Glentyan then made a change with some lucky de­flec­tions to re­store United’s two- goal cush­ion.

Ian Henry was ad­judged to have han­dled in the box and the Saints scored their third from the re­sult­ing penalty.

Af­ter the game Burn­side coach, Jamie McIsaac said: “It was great to grab an­other win to­day, it was very pleas­ing to see the way we started the game. We need to make sure we don’t get com­pla­cent in fu­ture, we need to be a bit more ruth­less.”

In the other games in Divi­sion 2C, Cam­bus­lang Foot­ball Academy lost 5-2 to only 30 min­utes played in an at­tempt to stay tight and not con­cede but again Zeb was caus­ing prob­lems. With a nice piece of skill in­side the penalty box he passed to Martin Jones who fired the ball into the net.

Dar­ren Hamp­son then got in on the act with a great strike from out­side the box to com­plete the scor­ing be­fore half-time.

Man­ager Sean Don­aghy then in­tro­duced Dar­ren Mowat for Paul McCabe who had worked tire­lessly in the cen­tral mid­field by break­ing up PFD Am­a­teurs and Strath­clyde de­feated league lead­ers Ruther­glen Rovers 4-1.

Strath­clyde started the bet­ter team and took the lead through Barry Kim­mett be­fore Skiv­ing­ton lev­elled on 32 min­utes.

The vis­i­tors took the lead once again with a nice fin­ish from Mark McGhee to send them in 2-1 at half-time.

McGhee and Greig Twad­dle scored af­ter the break to put the tie be­yond Rovers.

Mean­while, Fern­hill United won 5-2 against L&N Academy to keep their pro­mo­tion chances alive in Divi­sion One. the play.

Glentyan did come close with some long-range ef­forts but didn’t trou­ble Andy McGladri­gan in goal. With 20 min­utes re­main­ing Kevin Coyle and Brian Mullen re­placed Dar­ren Hamp­son and Richy Wim­penny re­spec­tively to freshen things up.

In the end it was a com­fort­able vic­tory for Ac­cies who now have 12 mas­sive games re­main­ing in the league. Next week they travel to Ea­gle­sham in round two of the Bobby Thom­son Chal­lenge Cup.

They started brightly and went 1-0 up af­ter five min­utes through Paul Reynolds’ header.

Af­ter con­ced­ing the equaliser, the striker scored again to make it 2-1.

A won­der-strike from James Don­nelly with his left foot from 30 yards se­cured the third while an own- goal meant United led 4-1 at the in­ter­val.

They soon re­gained con­trol af­ter L&N scored an­other and Don­nelly man­aged to beat three de­fend­ers be­fore rolling the ball into the empty net to seal the win.

United man­ager David Ram­say said: “It was a good solid per­for­mance from us to­day on a hor­ri­ble frozen grass park. It’s a vi­tal three points that keeps us in the chase for pro­mo­tion to the premier league. We also had four tri­al­ists to­day that look like great ad­di­tions to the squad.”

In other re­sults around the Sun­day Cen­tral AFL, Castlemilk Dynamo won 5-0 at The Hub in the Premier.

Kings Park drew 4 - 4 against Sauchie and Castlemilk United eased past La­nark­shire For­rest with a 3-1 win.

Nar­row vic­tory Burn­sid­eUnited de­fend a cor­ner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.