Clyde back in pro­mo­tion push

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport -

Ar­broath ............... 0 Clyde..................... 1 Clyde moved into the league two play-off places with a win over Ar­broath in a game which saw both teams fin­ish with 10 men.

The first chance of the match fell to John Gem­mell, but the for­ward’s header went straight into the arms of ‘keeper Al­lan Flem­ing.

With 34 min­utes on the clock, a long ball up­field re­sulted in a tus­sle be­tween David Gorm­ley and Ricky Lit­tle, with Gorm­ley even­tu­ally go­ing down as he seemed to be through on goal. The ref­eree blew for a foul and then had no op­tion but to send Lit­tle off for pre­vent­ing a goal scor­ing op­por­tu­nity.

Gorm­ley was then in the thick of the ac­tion as half-time ap­proached, first putting the ball wide from in­side the box and then go­ing strongly into a tackle in the middle of the park. Ref­eree Colin Steven evened up the num­bers by show­ing Gorm­ley a red card.

On 72 min­utes Clyde scored through a cross from the right by Hig­gins. It led to Lin­ton putting Craig Wil­son un­der pres­sure at the far post and that forced the Ar­broath de­fender into an er­ror as he put a loop­ing header over the goal­keeper and into the net.

Sec­onds later, The Red Lichties could have lev­elled the scores but Scott Durie was in the right place to block a goal-bound ef­fort.

With time run­ning out, Slane al­most sealed the vic­tory when he car­ried the ball into the box, but his shot was pushed away by Flem­ing.

There was a good spell of pres­sure by Queen’s to start the half, with a suc­ces­sion of free kicks and cor­ners that were com­fort­ably cleared.

On 55 min­utes Queen’s took the lead. Burns swung over the cor­ner kick, Kelly was blocked from com­ing for it by a sea of bod­ies, and it fell at Gib­son’s feet. The de­fender did well to shield the ball be­fore he rolled it out to Carter who lashed it into the net.

MacPher­son sent on Dug­gan for Carter – and it proved to be a scor­ing mas­ter­stroke.

On 94 min­utes Dug­gan beat Page on the left and rolled the ball into the box for Woods to beat Kelly with a low shot.

Woods then went off to be re­placed by Galt and as the game headed into the 96th minute, Woods cut along the by-line be­fore send­ing a low shot un­der Kelly to com­plete the scor­ing. Three wins in a row Man­ager Barry Fer­gu­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.