Late penalty is sick­ener for un­lucky Glens

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn ... 2 Cum­ber­nauld United .... 2

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports - Peter Fer­gu­son

Glen­cairn came des­per­ately close to their first home league win of the sea­son — but they had to set­tle for a point af­ter con­ced­ing a 92nd-minute goal.

The vis­i­tors Cum­ber­nauld United scram­bled a draw af­ter com­ing back from 2-0 down against 10-man Glens.

Once again, the Glen­cairn play­ing squad was stretched to the limit, with Jonny Boal, Andy Neil, Dean Muir, Ryan Docherty, Tony Fraser and Mark Tait all ruled out through a mix­ture of in­jury, ill­ness and sus­pen­sion. Un­der-21 mid­fielder Danny Salah made his first start for the first team.

The Glens were on the front foot from the kick-off and took just over a minute to take the lead. A lovely clipped pass by Sean McGuire saw Mark Duffy spring the off­side trap, and he knocked the ball round goal­keeper Steven McGuire be­fore fir­ing into the net from a tight an­gle.

Af­ter mount­ing pres­sure on the United de­fence, Glen­cairn got a re­ward for their dom­i­na­tion just af­ter the half-hour mark and dou­bled their lead.

David Dun­nachie’s pass bounced off Nicky Sul­li­van into the path of Mark Batch­e­lor, and he pro­duced a de­light­ful chipped fin­ish over McGuire.

Cum­ber­nauld grabbed them­selves a life­line right on the stroke of half-time. Dale Clark and Dy­lan McGuigan burst for­ward at the heart of the de­fence, and Clark’s clever flick set up Ross Fo­ley to score from close range.

The se­cond half was an even con­test up un­til the 75th minute when Muir clat­tered into a late tackle on Clark in the cen­tre of the park, and the ref­eree pro­duced a se­cond yel­low card for the Glens play­maker.

Then came the mo­ment that broke the hearts of the home sup­port­ers in the se­cond minute of stop­page time.

United forced the ball for­ward again, and it broke into the path of sub­sti­tute Ste­vie Mullen. JC Hutchi­son raced from his line and Mullen knocked the ball up into the air and col­lided with the big stop­per.

The ref­eree im­me­di­ately blew his whis­tle and pointed to the penalty spot. Clark stepped up and fired his shot past Hutchi­son to sal­vage a point.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.