Out of luck

Rutherglen Reformer - - Front Page - Court reporter

The son of a Cam­bus­lang lot­tery win­ner has been jailed for his part in a vi­o­lent rob­bery.

Colin Munro was sen­tenced to four years in prison yes­ter­day.

His mum, Cathy, won £ 3.5mil­lion in 2006 but she died just a few days af­ter Munro ad­mit­ted his crime back in Jan­uary.

The thug son of a mil­lion­aire lot­tery win­ner has been jailed for four years af­ter a vi­o­lent rob­bery bid.

Colin Munro was part of a ter­ri­fy­ing raid which saw a shop worker smacked with a ham­mer.

He ad­mit­ted the crime in Jan­uary. Just days later, his mum Cathy died at the age of 60.

The 32 year old ap­peared at the High Court in Pais­ley yes­ter­day, Tues­day, af­ter he ear­lier pleaded guilty to a charge of as­sault with in­tent to rob. His ac­com­plice An­drew Madden , 33, also ad­mit­ted to the same crime.

Judge Lady Scott locked each of them up for four years. She also or­dered they be su­per­vised for a fur­ther three years on their re­lease. The court heard how the pair tar­geted the Hill­house gro­cery store in Hamil­ton last Septem­ber.

Madden ini­tially stormed in clutch­ing a ham­mer with his hood up and a scarf cov­er­ing his face.

He im­me­di­ately went be­hind the till and soon be­gan grap­pling with shop owner Shahid Parvez.

Munro – armed with a knife and with his face also hid­den – then raced into the store. He quickly turned on worker Mo­hammed Rafiq and started punch­ing him.

Pros­e­cu­tor Al­lan Ni­col said: “Both (work­ers) were fight­ing to try to avoid be­ing struck by the weapons the ac­cused had.”

A fright­ened fe­male cus­tomer and her six-month-old child hid for their safety in the store.

CCTV of the raid was shown in court. Munro and Madden could be seen strug­gling with the men as shelves of gro­ceries end up scat­tered onto the floor.

The duo even­tu­ally leave – by this time their faces re­vealed af­ter their scarves have slipped down.

But, Munro re­turned and struck Mr Rafiq on the head with the ham­mer leav­ing him cut.

The raiders then fled again to­wards nearby woods.

How­ever, the knife that Munro had been bran­dish­ing was left be­hind in the store.

Po­lice were soon on the scene and the two shop staff were taken to hos­pi­tal. Mr Rafiq re­quired treat­ment for a head wound.

Of­fi­cers mean­while were tipped off that two men had been spot­ted rac­ing from the woods to­wards a block of flats.

Po­lice – with the use of a snif­fer dog – then traced Munro and Madden to a prop­erty there and de­tained them.

Munro’s mother passed away days af­ter he ad­mit­ted to the raid.

In 2006, she told how she was go­ing to split her £3.5m for­tune with fam­ily in­clud­ing Munro and her two other sons Barry and Craig.

She said at the time: “You see a lot of peo­ple go­ing off their head when they get a lot of money by go­ing out par­ty­ing, but that life­style is not for me.

“I just wanted enough to pay all the bills and look af­ter my fam­ily.”

Her hus­band, John, died just a few months af­ter their win.

The rob­bery bid is not the first time Munro has landed in court since his mum be­came a mil­lion­aire.

Months af­ter the win, the thug was ac­cused of chas­ing a man with a bot­tle and as­sault­ing him.

But, the case against him and a friend col­lapsed at Glas­gow Sher­iff Court.

He had al­ready served a 54-month sen­tence when aged just 16 he was con­victed of se­ri­ous as­sault in 2001.

De­spite his des­per­ate bid for cash, it emerged Munro’s lat­est ad­dress was in a smart de­vel­op­ment at Cam­bus­lang. The prop­erty – close to where he was brought up - was bought for just un­der £200,000 shortly af­ter Cather­ine Munro’s Lotto suc­cess.

Jail Colin Munro

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.