Glen­cairn suf­fer late blow in fi­nal

Big crowd see Ruther­glen U-21 miss out on cup

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

An 86th- minute goal was enough to see Ruther­glen Glen­cairn Un­der-21s slump to a West of Scot­land League Cup fi­nal de­feat as they lost 2-1 to Tower Hearts.

Alessan­dro Savarese struck late on af­ter Glens’ An­ton Phinn can­celled out Dale Simeon’s first half opener in front of a large sup­port at McKenna Park, Glas­gow, on Sun­day.

Tower were given the op­por­tu­nity to take the lead in the 38th minute when the ref ruled that Shaun Roberts had tripped Simeon in­side the area.

The Glens will have felt jus­tice was done as Trues­dale pro­duced a bril­liant block to deny Ryan Kerr and keep the score­line blank.

How­ever, the open­ing goal was only de­layed by a cou­ple of min­utes when Tower Hearts took the lead in the 40th minute. A cross from the left picked out Simeon on his own in front of goal, and he pro­duced a spec­tac­u­lar left­footed hook vol­ley to give Trues­dale no chance.

The young Glens came out for the se­cond half de­ter­mined to get back on level terms quickly and they did ex­actly that in the 49th minute. A high ball was laid back by Wal­lace into the path of An­ton Phinn, and he skipped past a cou­ple of chal­lenges be­fore smash­ing his shot into the roof of the net from 20 yards for his 26th goal of the sea­son.

Just as it looked like a penalty shoot-out was on the cards, Tower Hearts edged in front with only four min­utes re­main­ing. Simeon was the ar­chi­tect this time, as he fed the ball in to Alessan­dro Savarese and he pro­duced a pre­cise fin­ish off the in­side of the far post.

Glen­cairn threw ev­ery­thing for­ward in des­per­a­tion for an equaliser in the fi­nal few min­utes but Tower held on to claim the tro­phy.

The fi­nal re­sult left the win­ners still in con­tention for win­ning five tro­phies but the young Glens have the con­so­la­tion of know­ing that a tre­ble is still within their grasp, in­clud­ing the big prize of the Premier League cham­pi­onship.

Co-man­ager Alex McArthur was proud of his team’s per­for­mance.

He said: “We ac­tu­ally played very well. I’m dis­ap­pointed for the boys and the sup­port­ers but we were beaten by an un­lucky goal.

“I can’t be too crit­i­cal of them. They gave their all and to go down 1-0 and come back from that so quickly was pleas­ing.

“I felt we dom­i­nated the first 15 min­utes and our two cen­trem­id­field­ers bossed the first half.

“Tower Hearts got a penalty against the run of play but Trues­dale, who is a great goal­keeper, made a stun­ning save.

“They got a goal just be­fore half-time but we did well to score just af­ter the break. A lapse of con­cen­tra­tion cost us the goal at the end but con­grat­u­la­tions to Tower Hearts, they are a very good side.

“The boys were ab­so­lutely gut­ted af­ter it. It was a som­bre and quiet dress­ing room af­ter the game and we could see how much it was hurt­ing them.

“They felt as though they had let the sup­port down but I got a few text mes­sages last night from peo­ple who told me they cer­tainly didn’t.

“It’s now about how we re­act from it. There is still a lot to play for and we have an im­por­tant cup tie this week­end against West Park to fo­cus on.”

So close

Hearts’ Dale Wal­lace

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.